Batsap's Reviews > Elfslayer

Elfslayer by Nathan Long

May 05, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, warhammer, library
Read from May 05 to 11, 2010

This is truly a Gotrek and Felix novel - it's madcap, fierce and soaked in the blook of its enemies.

Gotrek, after having taken quite a serious turn in my opinion since Nathan Long took on his character, is once again laughing maniacally and grinning in an unsettling manner in the face of danger. I love the scene where they are being attacked by sharks and Gotrek is roaring at them to come out of the water and face him, the cowards. The humour is definitely back in the series and the book is so much better for it. And Felix is back being a lovable idiot when it comes to matters of the curvy, feminine kind.

What I find interesting about Nathan Long is that he seems to reference the earlier books much more than William King did. There is a lot of looking back and tying things together a little more. Felix looking back over the journals he'd been writing from the beginning was a nice touch that brought the prologues at the beginning of each book into the main story more. I also like the mystery that is being set up around Felix never appearing to grow any older.

It's also a nice thing to see some old faces put in an appearance. Anyone who has been wondering what happened to Max Schrieber should read this. And to my utmost delight, this book saw the return of that most unlucky and geriatric of skaven - Grey Seer Thanquol! The books just haven't been complete without his cute, furry little face.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elfslayer.