Rebecca's Reviews > That Girl

That Girl by H.J. Bellus

That girl IS NOT defined by a name; in fact, her name doesn’t matter – it’s inconsequential because it shows nothing about her or what she’s been through.

That girl IS defined by her past, by her scars, by the nightmares and demons that threaten to possess her and drag her down on a constant basis.

That girl is broken. That girl is damaged. That girl is a nobody who impacts no one.

That girl is a runner who lets no one in for fear that they will find out the truth and leave her before she can leave them.

That girl is lost, looking to be found, and there’s a boy willing to do it, but she has to let him, which is easier said than done.

This boy’s name is Lincoln Wilks, and he wants that girl because he sees past her scars and wants to be a part of her story.

This boy is passionate, committed, patient, and willing to fight for the both of them.

This boy wants to give that girl a first and last name that mean something – if only to the two of them.

That Girl is a story about how a girl with no identify becomes someone who loves…someone who feels something other than sadness…someone who fights through the darkness because this boy believes in her and wants to give her all the pizza in the world!

The heroine may be a runner and may be afraid of many things, but she’s also a fighter; she had the strength to get herself out of a situation that would more than likely have killed her, and that takes a tremendous amount of courage and determination to continue that path alone.

Every girl deserves a Lincoln Wilks, but he seems to be a pretty rare find. Even though he’s a star football player and the big man on campus, his life, namely his family, is not much of a support system for him. He chose his own path, and his parents don’t support his choice and treat him as a second thought not as the amazing person that he is. Perhaps the heroine traveled all of those miles so that Lincoln finally had someone who saw him as what he truly is.

This book had me at the prologue, and it didn’t release me until I was finished. What makes this story so powerful is that that girl can be any 18 year old girl out there, which is why I’m even more blown away with H.J. Bellus’ presentation of it. Its reach is limitless because the connection to the heroine and the subject matter will relate to a multitude of readers. As a high school teacher, I see that girl in many of my students, and I want to help them find that boy who can give them not only a name worth having but a place to feel safe and loved.

That Girl is a definite must read, and even though I wanted a bit more of the ending explained, I do understand why H.J. Bellus left it that way; I guess I’m just a greedy reader;)

A complimentary copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 poison apples (The Fairest of All Book Reviews)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Girl.

August 1, 2014 – Shelved
August 1, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 5, 2014 – Started Reading
August 5, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Shovan This reviewer has the canny way of getting to the meat of the story which makes you want to read the story like right this minute!

message 2: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja Great review! xoxo

Rebecca Thanks so much! I loved writing it!