Natalie Joan's Reviews > The Light Between Oceans

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Aug 01, 2014

This was heartbreaking and frustrating and so incredibly engaging. But really, what was I thinking, reading a novel about a women who loses three babies before deciding to "keep" the one that literally floats into her life.
While I easily empathized with the characters, I still struggled with the choice they made. We've all dealt with loss, it doesn't turn you into a kidnapper. I don't like the idea of an infertile woman as some hysterical, amoral creature who will justify anything to have a child.
Yet, the whole setting led up to making you accept it. There they are, on an island in the middle of the ocean. No one to see, no one to know. Perhaps more importantly, no one to share their struggles and lend support. You can't help but think "you know, in that situation, maybe I'd have done the same."
But the fallout. I expected the standard "well meaning couple does terrible thing, learns lesson, everyone lives mostly happily ever after." I did not expect the gut-wrenching consequences. I did not expect to be up at midnight, desperately reading, tears streaming down my face, hoping everything would be alright in the end. It so rarely is after someone has done a terrible thing.
That's all I'm going to say. Any more will spoil it. Highly recommended.

Wait - one more thing. I didn't realize it when I bought the book, but the back-story to the novel is the first World War, and its aftermath. Set in Australia, it is a different take on the war than usual - very similar, but different stories and battles emphasized. Made ever more poignant this year, this week, as it is the 100th anniversary of the start of the war.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Between Oceans.

Started Reading