Alejandro's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: novel, epic-fantasy, military, politics, magic, espionage

The Journey begins!!!

THE EVOLUTION OF A RING’S STORY

Courage is found in unlikely places.

What started up as an adventure oriented for children turned into an epic fantasy...

...THE epic fantasy book, anything else in the genre after this, born here, any other author writing in this field, began here, and even impacted in many other genres and formats.

Certainly, in The Hobbit, there are dangers, there is death, so thinking about it as a children’s tale is a much debated issue, but it’s clear that Tolkien’s intention was to present a light-hearted adventure.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

However, due some communication’s troubles between Tolkien and the publishing house, making him to think that they weren’t enjoying the proposed sequel to The Hobbit, the story got bigger, larger, darker...

...and redefined the conception of epic fantasy in literarure.

Even Tolkien needed to re-write the chapter in The Hobbit involving Bilbo, Gollum and the One Ring, since the story known as The Lord of the Rings became something that even the very Tolkien didn’t foreseen before.

So, what began as a small hobbit living in a hole that found a tiny ring in his journey, turned into a visceral war involving the whole Middle-Earth.

MY THEORY ABOUT THE RING

For nothing is evil in the beginning.

I have a theory about the One Ring.

And don’t worry, it’s not a spoiler.

As I quoted (in this part of the review) Tolkien, may nothing is evil in the beginning, not even Sauron was evil in his own beginning, but...

...there is one thing in the Middle-Earth that it was evil since its own beginning...

...the One Ring!

The One Ring was evil in its own beginning.

The One Ring was in the hand of Sauron, then it passed to Isildur, a man, but it was soon lost and ended in the hands of Déagol, a hobbit, to fall right away in the possession of Sméagol, another hobbit, having it for so many time that Sméagol lost his own identity turning to be Gollum, scary, nasty, treacherous and dangerous but still a hobbit, then enter Bilbo, yet another hobbit, and finally gets into the picture, Frodo, yes, another hobbit.

Do you see the pattern? (Because to me it wasn’t that hard!)

Hobbit, hobbit, hobbit, hobbit.

It’s said that people (all kind of people: Elves, Dwarves, Men, etc...) are obsessed with the One Ring.

But to me, it’s clear that the One Ring is “obsessed” with the Hobbits!!!

Sauron may be the Lord of the Rings, but it has been stated that the One Ring has a mind-like on its own. It’s not like a Green Lantern’s Power Ring able to talk and having a computer-like library to access inside, even the feature to fly on its own to search the next suitable user. The One Ring can’t talk, can’t move or fly on its own, but still is a magic ring alright (or “alwrong” since it’s unquestionable wicked (hey! No only Tolkien can invent words!) and it’s clear that its purpose is to bind all people into darkness, into evil.

Sauron may have plans for the One Ring, but it’s likely that the One Ring has its own plans, its own designs, not to rebel, not to stand against its master, but to fulfill its basic purpose since it may notice a small flaw in Sauron’s plans.

Sauron wants to turn into evil the whole Middle-Earth’s population: Elves are wise and powerful but still they have already fell into darkness in some numbers (no wonder why they’re starting an exodus from the Middle-Earth). Dwarves are greedy and violent, they’re easy targets for darkness. Men? Don’t make me laugh! We are the most susceptible species for darkness of all, nothing to worry about for the One Ring.

However, Sauron didn’t even know the existence (for not saying clearly not knowing the location) of the Shire. Therefore, it’s evident that the hobbits aren’t in the plans of Sauron. You can say that it’s because he didn’t know about them or simply because he didn’t consider them worthy to send any troops there.

But the One Ring knows. In some way, it knows about the Hobbits.

And the One Ring has ONE purpose...

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

The One Ring is thorough about its purpose. It is obsessed about its one single purpose in the Middle-Earth. It has to bind ALL people into darkness, into evil. Not matter how tactically valuable or how ridiculous irrelevant. The One Ring isn’t in position to question the one single purpose that it was imprinted downright on its metal, its whole body, its entire “soul”.

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

You may think that the One Ring was lost, that it was wandering, but no...

...the One Ring was precisely where it wants to be! It found the Hobbits!

Yes, the Hobbits in a quick glance, they aren’t something to be worry about when you’re planning to dominate Middle-Earth. Clearly, it was Sauron’s point of view. You can’t blame him. I don’t think any military leader in his position would consider relevant to invest time and effort with the Shire.
BUT the One Ring thinks otherwise.

If the other races have to fall into darkness, into evil, then the Hobbits must be as well.

The Shire is an oasis of peace, of light, of goodwill, of laughing, of dancing, of enjoying the basic pleasures of a more simple life...

...and the One Ring can’t tolerate that!!! It’s revolted by the very existence of such a good place inhabited by such merry species. Everybody, everywhere and everything must fall into its dark bind, into evil!!!

If Hobbits fall into darkness, into evil, then and only then, Sauron’s plans would be truly accomplished and the One Ring’s purpose, fulfilled.

RING ANY BELLS?

Books ought to have good endings.

I am not a rookie with The Lords of the Rings since I watched all the movies, but certainly I knew that eventually I will read the books. While I am aware of what would happen here and in the next books, I still enjoyed plenty enough the reading, since I was able to notice the “little differences” here and there, between the original writing and the modern film adaptations.

Some time ago, I read The Hobbit and now I have read the first book, Fellowship of the Ring, but an important thing to have in mind is that hardly it’s a “first” book per se, but the first part of one single book titled: The Lord of the Rings, since I can’t blame other readers if they weren’t satisfied with the development made in this first part.

Characters took an “eternity” to begin a journey, to take a decision, to do anything. The few action moments are overly seldom spread and too quick developed, so you don’t get a real sense of being reading something in the epic fantasy genre. Even some scenes aren’t presented in “real time” but they are told after the things happened, stealing almost all thrill from them. Some random characters without any real utility in the story. An overwhelming telling of the vast background history of the Middle-Earth. And “finally”, you won’t get an ending here, this isn’t really a whole book, but the first part of a novel.

So, if you can have all that in mind, knowing that you will have to read other two parts to get the whole story, and trusting that you will get ample amounts of actions later, maybe, just maybe, you would be forgiving enough to enjoy the wonderful writing using words in such clever way, along with the majesty of the expansion of such rich literary universe.

Keep up, my fellow readers! The journey is just beginning!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

Quotes Alejandro Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Short cuts make long delays.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Not all those who wander are lost.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“For nothing is evil in the beginning.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill.”

July 31, 2014 – Shelved
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: politics
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: magic
December 9, 2015 – Shelved as: espionage
December 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)

Paula Kalin Enjoy, Alejandro. An absolute favorite of mine! Loved the movies also. The movies certainly stand up well to the series. My son and I have watched them over and over. The first time we saw the Fellowship of the Ring we couldn't speak. We sat there in such awe!

message 2: by ☼♄Jülie  (last edited Dec 09, 2015 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

☼♄Jülie  Classic! ...and a poet...

Brendon Schrodinger Great review Alejandro. It's a great ride. A very slow and descriptive ride though.

A great Christmas time read.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Alejandro Paula wrote: "Enjoy, Alejandro. An absolute favorite of mine! Loved the movies also. The movies certainly stand up well to the series. My son and I have watched them over and over. The first time we saw the Fell..."

Thanks, Paula! Definitely the movies are awesome! :D I am glad of having read this first part of the story.

Alejandro ☼♄Jülie wrote: "Classic! ...and a poet..."

Thanks for your feedback! ;)

Alejandro Brendon wrote: "Great review Alejandro. It's a great ride. A very slow and descriptive ride though.

A great Christmas time read."

Yes, since I already covered the reading challenge, so I thought it was a good moment to engage into this series ;)

Alejandro Dana wrote: "omg I LOVED your review! I especially like the part about hobbits and the One Ring. You know, I feel like I read this at a bad time, so I'm going to reread this, not now, but soon. :)"

Hi, Dana! Sometimes we read something at the wrong moment, sometimes if we read the same book again, our reading experience changed for the better (sometimes it doesn't) I hoped your own reading experience would improve whenever you would be able to re-read it.

Thanks so much for your kind appraisals for the review :D

Zoeytron Excellent, Alejandro!

message 10: by Pearl (new) - rated it 1 star

Pearl Angeli I'm always captivated with your review, Kuya Alejandro! Well done! ;)

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 09, 2015 05:16PM) (new)

But to me, it’s clear that the One Ring is “obsessed” with the Hobbits!!!

Oh man, I looooove that theory to bits!

So you're going to read the second one now? :D

Marquise As I quted (in this part of the review) Tolkien, may nothing is evil in the beginning, not even Sauron was evil in his own beginning.

Exactly. Lucifer was, in the beginning, the Angel of Light, and likewise Tolkien tells the story of how Sauron came to be Sauron in "The Silmarillion." I do hope you'll read and review that one as well, you've always interesting thoughts to add. :)

message 13: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira OMG! What a fantastic review!

Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen Clap clap for this! :)

message 15: by ☼♄Jülie  (last edited Dec 09, 2015 06:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

☼♄Jülie  You've done great service to this book Alejandro and to The Lord of the Rings as a whole, by explaining it so well.
When I first read TLTR it was in the form of one huge papeback with 1,077 pages so I was able to continue straight through all of the books without interrupting the flow, which was great. That was back in 1980 and I still maintain it is one of..if not the..best books I have ever read ;)
By the way, I still have that well thumbed copy on my bookshelf :)

message 16: by Florencia (new)

Florencia Oh, I've been wanting to read this for some time. It would be nice to take a break from the Russians and enjoy this amazing journey. For now, we enjoy the journey this fascinating review represents! Great job, Alejandro! :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Props to you for reading this and for writing this excellent review, Kuya Alejandro!^^

message 18: by Henry (new) - added it

Henry Avila Wonderful review, Alejandro, I have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings twice, and want to read it again, nothing comparable in literature.

Jonathan Peto Excellent review, Alejandro. As far as I know, your description of the Ring's perspective is unique. Awesome insight!

message 20: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Wonderful review, Alejandro! I am very glad indeed that you've enjoyed it! :) So many readers complain about how it was tedious or too lengthy etc.
Nice theory too, very elaborate and it actually makes sense since the hobbits are a pure and kind folk! :D

message 21: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Excellent review!!!!! This is one of my fav books! So happy u enjoyed it as well!!! :)

David Another excellent review, Alejandro !

message 23: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Yay! Great review, Alejandro :)

Alejandro Zoeytron wrote: "Excellent, Alejandro!"

Alejandro Pearl wrote: "I'm always captivated with your review, Kuya Alejandro! Well done! ;)"

You're so kind, Pearl! I appreciate your kind words!

Alejandro Jocelyn wrote: "But to me, it’s clear that the One Ring is “obsessed” with the Hobbits!!!

Oh man, I looooove that theory to bits!

So you're going to read the second one now? :D"

Thanks, Jocelyn! I am glad that you liked my theory! ;)

Oh, yes, I am engaging into the second book already.

Alejandro Marquise wrote: "As I quted (in this part of the review) Tolkien, may nothing is evil in the beginning, not even Sauron was evil in his own beginning.

Exactly. Lucifer was, in the beginning, the Angel of Light, an..."

Indeed, Tolkien while creating his own mythology for England, definitely he was inspired by many previous works like the Bible ;)

Alejandro Ivonne wrote: "OMG! What a fantastic review!"

Thank you so much, Ivonne! I appreciate your kind appraisal! :D

Alejandro Nicay (QueenNicay) wrote: "Clap clap for this! :)"

I'm honored! Thank you, Nicay! :D

Alejandro ☼♄Jülie wrote: "You've done great service to this book Alejandro and to The Lord of the Rings as a whole, by explaining it so well.
When I first read TLTR it was in the form of one huge papeback with 1,0..."

Cool, to have an edition with the whole three parts in one single book. Cool indeed! :D

Thank you for your kind comments about my review! :)

Alejandro Florencia wrote: "Oh, I've been wanting to read this for some time. It would be nice to take a break from the Russians and enjoy this amazing journey. For now, we enjoy the journey this fascinating review represents..."

Hi, Florencia! I am glad that you take a break from Russians and spared a while with Hobbits, Elves and Dwarves ;)

Thank you so much for your kind appraisals! I do appreciate them a lot!

Alejandro Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Props to you for reading this and for writing this excellent review, Kuya Alejandro!^^"

Thanks a lot for your kind words. Aj ;)

Alejandro Henry wrote: "Wonderful review, Alejandro, I have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings twice, and want to read it again, nothing comparable in literature."

Thank you, Henry! I appreciate your kind comments!

Alejandro Jonathan wrote: "Excellent review, Alejandro. As far as I know, your description of the Ring's perspective is unique. Awesome insight!"

Hi, Jonathan! Well, I guess it's unique :P I suppose that must be somebody else who thinks something similar around, hehehe, but so far it's still my theory hehehe ;)

Alejandro Liz wrote: "Wonderful review, Alejandro! I am very glad indeed that you've enjoyed it! :) So many readers complain about how it was tedious or too lengthy etc.
Nice theory too, very elaborate and it actually ..."

Hi, Liz! Oh, yes, as you could see, I wasn't blind to the factors that may affect the reading experience of others, but at the end such great work (even if it was the first part of a book) deserved the 4-stars rating that it's a really good rating ;)

Alejandro Kim wrote: "Excellent review!!!!! This is one of my fav books! So happy u enjoyed it as well!!! :)"

Hi, Kim! Oh, yes! I enjoyed a lot the reading :D

Alejandro David wrote: "Another excellent review, Alejandro !"

I'm honored for your kind comment, David!

Alejandro Deanna wrote: "Yay! Great review, Alejandro :)"

Yay! Thanks to you, Deanna! ;) :D

Renee Cosgrove If you liked this book the rest just as good if not better. I really enjoyed The Black Elf series by R.A.Salvatore.

message 40: by Tammie (new) - added it

Tammie I love your thoughts on the One Ring and the Hobbits.

Alejandro Renee wrote: "If you liked this book the rest just as good if not better. I really enjoyed The Black Elf series by R.A.Salvatore."

I am sure that I will enjoy more the other two parts ;)

Thanks for the recommendation of that series! ;)

Alejandro Tammie wrote: "I love your thoughts on the One Ring and the Hobbits."

Thank you, Tammie! I am honored by your kind comment!

message 43: by Tosh (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tosh the One Ring is "obsessed" with Hobbits I certainly never would have come to that conclusion, but you make some excellent points. :) Great review!

Alejandro Tosh wrote: "the One Ring is "obsessed" with Hobbits I certainly never would have come to that conclusion, but you make some excellent points. :) Great review!"

Thank you, Tosh! I'm honored that you found valid points in my theory ;) :D

Bionic Jean Great review Alejandro! :)

Tracey Stunning review. :)

Alejandro Jean wrote: "Great review Alejandro! :)"

Thank you, Jean! I appreciate your kind appraisal!

Alejandro Tracey wrote: "Stunning review. :)"

Thank you, Tracey! I am grateful for your kind remark!

ChrisDQ Loved your review and your theory about the ring ;) I agree that it seems highly unlikely it's just a coincidence the ring seems to "end up" in the hands of hobbits all the time. Just finished this book, going to start the next one soon!

Alejandro DramaQueen wrote: "Loved your review and your theory about the ring ;) I agree that it seems highly unlikely it's just a coincidence the ring seems to "end up" in the hands of hobbits all the time. Just finished this..."

I'm glad that you liked my little theory about hobbits ;)

So sorry for such delayed reply.

« previous 1