Ana T.'s Reviews > The Marsh King's Daughter

The Marsh King's Daughter by Elizabeth Chadwick

Dec 08, 2007

bookshelves: medieval-challenge, read-in-2009, medieval
Read in January, 2009

It seems with every new Elizabeth Chadwick book I read I become more of a fangirl of her work. Like in previous books what really draws me in are the characters she creates and their complexity. How they become real to us.

Unlike other books this story does not deal with the nobility. It deals with the common people, traders and particularly weavers, and I really enjoyed knowing something about that trade.

Elizabeth Chadwick beautifully combines history and fiction. In this case she starts out with a real event - the disappearence of the royal treasure during King John's reign - and she plays around with what might have happened to it. This however is not the main subject of the book but more of a pretext to start the action.

Miriel is a young girl, who has been confined to a convent by her family, when she meets Nicholas de Caen. He is brought to the convent after being found unconscious on the road and when he eventually leaves Miriel decides to follow.

Their fate will be closely connected to King John's lost treasure and if as young people they showed great promise when they meet again they are strong and ready to deal with the feelings that had been brewing since their first meeting. Things are not easy though as life has made them walk different paths and will lead them to difficult decisions. Nicholas and Miriel's story makes for a compelling read and I simply could not stop till I reached the last page.

Grade: 5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marsh King's Daughter.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Bruno How are you liking this one so far? It's one of my favorites of Chadwick. I recently read The Time of Singing and it was fabulous!

Ana T. I'm enjoying it very much! :-)

Misfit This is one of the first of her's I've read, it did keep me up until the very wee hours of the morning. Might have to drag it out for a re-read very soon.

Ana T. I still have a few of her other books in the TBR pile and I hope to get to them. I hope they are as good as this one.

Rebecca Huston EC's been improving with each book that she writes, and she wasn't at all shabby when she got started. I confess, I've gotten to the point where I just automatically preorder her books as soon as the word gets out -- I guess that does make me a fan girl. This one is one of my favourites, and what neat plot twists it has. But you pegged it right as for the characters -- I feel I could bump into them on the street and know who they are.

Ana T. Rebecca I couldn't agree more, she is getting better and better.