Sierra's Reviews > Godless

F 50x66
May 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: ad-lit-class-shelf

It was an interesting experience to read two books in one day-- one with my favorite adolescent narrator so far and the other with my least favorite narrator so far (see my review of Feed for details). Jason BOCK! of Pete Hautman's Godless, was a smart-aleck, outwardly confident, yet inwardly insecure narrator, which happens to be my favorite kind of teenager. He was witty and believable, angsty, and probably a little too smart for his own good. This was the first book we've read for YA lit that I've laughed out loud probably every other page. I commend Hautman for his exquisite narrator, and look forward to reading more of his books for this reason.
However, despite the wittiness of the narrator, the subject matter was surprisingly dense, and not always pleasant. Hautman addressed the common struggle of finding faith and religion, and I confess, sometimes I was distressed by his approach to the topic. He related real and intense grapplings with faith, and maybe it is because I consider myself religious that I found the whole subject somewhat uncomfortable. Still, it is a real issue, and something that teenagers probably ought to explore. While it does not come to a neat, bow-tied ending, I think it explores the real feelings of loneliness that faithlessness can bring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godless.