Sheila's Reviews > The Wide Game

The Wide Game by Michael  West

2039269
Jul 31, 2014

bookshelves: coming-of-age, cultural, horror, mystery, paranormal, spiritual, suspense

There’s something seriously scary about the Wide Game, and nearly everyone who’s played will carry the scars. But they won’t talk about it. And now Paul’s back in Harmony, Indiana, for a school reunion where he just might have to face up to what was. Meanwhile the reader follows his memories of that Wide Game played before graduation, and wonders at the cost.

The Wide Game is classic horror, with teenagers separating in the dark when you know they ought to stay together, with something scary in the cornfield, and with romantic leads just desperate to survive. But survival isn’t everything, and there are gaps in the gruesome details where nobody knows just who or what is setting the rules for the game. And then there’s death. And then there’s the school reunion.

The Wide Game is told in separate parts which tie past and present together and lead inexorably, but secretly, to final scary conclusions where a church, once scorned, just might play its own part in healing... because some things just can’t be earned after all. I enjoyed the whole story, but I truly loved the ending; that touch of thought-provoking mystery that raises a tale above its genre and makes it something special.

Disclosure: I was given a free ecopy during the author’s blog tour. I’m just sorry it took me so long to get around to reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wide Game.

Started Reading