Jessica's Reviews > Secondhand Heart

Secondhand Heart by Kristen Strassel

Jul 31, 2014

Recommended for: Fans of romance, music, anyone who loves a great story!

I was lucky enough to beta read this for Kristen a few months ago. I haven't read the final version yet, so this review is based strictly on the version I read.

Daisy's story begins on her birthday. The first birthday she's celebrated since her husband died. And, as expected, she's not doing so well. She's a young widow, who's suddenly faced with starting her life over again and she doesn't know where to begin. All of the plans she had for the future fell apart with Jordan's death. On top of that, she's living with her parents and dealing with her mother's constant judgement.

Cam is a former winner of the singing competition The Spotlight. He was well on his way to becoming the next big country star, but recently his career has started to fizzle and questions about how he actually won the competition are surfacing. He's moved to town and opened up his own country bar, which is where the two meet.

Daisy is an amazing and complex character. I really related to what she was going through. Not just her grief, but also her insecurity and the helplessness one feels when they're not sure where their life is going.

Cam is sexy as hell. And sweet. I don't usually go for the country thing but damn does he make it look good! He and Daisy meet and yes, it does get pretty steamy, but it doesn't detract from the story. They're great together. Exactly what the other needs as they both work through grief and the unexpected turns their lives have taken. And on top of this being a really sweet, hot, wonderful story about two wounded people falling it love it also has some twists and tension and tragedy as Daisy and Cam deal with their family, friends, and Cam's ex-wife.

4 out of 5 stars because although I really liked the story, there were some things I thought needed expanding or a little work. I won't say what because I don't want to give too much away. I will definitely reread this once it comes out! I can't wait to see what changes Kristen's made. I have total faith in her and I fully expect to love the final version even more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secondhand Heart.

April 7, 2014 – Started Reading