Nancy's Reviews > Noah's Compass

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler

May 03, 2010

liked it

The latest book by Anne Tyler was a quick, pleasant read. Having read her books over the years, this one seemed briefer and covered a shorter passage of time than most others but, in a way, I enjoyed that as, even though Tyler has the knack of making passive people sympathetic, I still have the desire to give some of the characters a good smack at times.

In this case, instead of the entire meandering life of the character, we join him for the end of his passive journey and his re-engagement with his life and the important people in it. Perhaps the Eunice scenario was resolved a bit quickly and uneventfully and maybe even not quite satisfyingly but, at the same time, the story was not about a new start but about picking up the threads of his life that he had never held tightly and had dropped carelessly.

I think it ended at a point where the possibilities are promising, but I wouldn't have minded the story continuing from this point as I would have liked to have seen more of Liam's father and wife and the rest of the characters. The story was over almost too quickly just as I was warming up to them.

All in all, not bad, but brief.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noah's Compass.

Started Reading