Michelle novelsontherun's Reviews > Lover Unbound

Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward

May 03, 2010

bookshelves: fave-books

This is Vishous , 'V's story. You find out a whole lot about Vishous in this book.

'Zsadist' made me 'feel' for him in his story, 'Lover Awakened', but , Vishous life was horrendous.

There was one point in this book where I was up the river parked , sitting in my car reading , watching my kids in playground, Christina Aguilera slow song was playing on radio, maybe it was the song...but!! I just blubbered with poor 'V'.

Phury I respect even more after reading this book. He may be the quietly written Brother in the series but he is such a selfless , thoughtful character. Some readers may think boring, but I beg to differ.

I'm loving John and his two buds. They are great fun and I think will continue to be :D

I thought my eyes were boggling at the uber smexi scenes before I got to book 5...OMG!!!! J.R Ward takes it up a notch. The thing I like about the smexi scenes is it's about the characters personality, not 'just because, or for the sake of it'. To be honest, I think this series could be written without the 'hot tamale' scenes and would still be brilliant books. Sure the 'hot tamale' scenes are ..well...wow!!! but!! that's not why I love these books. They are a part of the very male characters but not the whole story.

The characters are just awesomely ( if that's a word) written. The changing POV's . The 'POW's that you get are great. Wonderful 'POW' in this book, didn't see that one coming. J.R can one minute make you feel emotion that tugs at your heart and then the next you are bursting out laughing.

The characters layers get really peeled back. The emotions J.R Ward makes you feel in each book are quite memorable. I'm in for the long haul with this series, they are very addictive.

The Vishous at the start of this series to the Vishous at the end of this book has come a long way:D

My top three guys are:

Zsadist - So sad to see his story, but so glad at the way he has come out of it.
Butch - Didn't really dig Butch at first but then he won me over, very loyal.
Vishous - I didn't think I would have put 'V' in there until I read his story...his pain ..wow!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unbound.

Quotes Michelle novelsontherun Liked

J.R. Ward
“You so need to lighten up about that potato-launcher incident," Butch said.
Phury rolled his eyes and eased back in the banquette. "You broke my window."
"Of course we did. V and I were aiming for it."
"Twice."
"Thus proving that he and I are outstanding marksmen.”

J.R. Ward
“There aren't any syringes." Red Sox came over and held a sterile pack out. When she tried to take it from him, he kept a grip on the thing. "I know you'll use this wisely."
"Wisely?" She snapped the syringe out of his hand. "No, I'm going to poke him in the eye with it. Because that's what they trained me to do in medical school.”

“Take off your coat."
"Excuse me?"
"Take it off."
"No."
"I want it off."
"Then I suggest you hold your breath. Won't affect me in the slightest, but at least the suffocation will help pass the time for you. [Vishous to Jane]”

J.R. Ward
“And second, I don't think there's much of a market for your particular brand of psychology."
"So not true."
"Butch, you and I just beat the crap out of each other."
"You started it. And actually, it would be perfect for Spike TV. UFC meets Oprah. God, I'm brilliant."
"Keep telling yourself that.
-Butch and V”

J.R. Ward
“Red Sox looked around Jane at the patient, “Your mind reading coming back?”

“With her? Sometimes?”

“Huh. You getting anything from anyone else?”

“Nope.”

Red Sox repositioned his hat. “Well, ah…let me know if you pick up shit from me, k? There are some things that I’d prefer to keep private, feel me?”

“Roger that. Although I can’t help it sometimes.”

“Which is why I’m going to take up thinking about baseball when you’re around.”

“Thank fuck you’re not a Yankees fan.”

“Don’t use the Y-word. We’re in mixed company.”

J.R. Ward
“Tell you what, you let me go, and I’ll ask you plenty of questions about your race. Until then, I’m slightly distracted with how this little vacation on the good ship Holy Sh*t is going to pan out for me.”

J.R. Ward
“Terrific. A bisexual dominant vampire with kidnapping expertise.”

J.R. Ward
“When I want you to beg, I'll tell you.”

J.R. Ward
“On the chessboard of his godforsaken existence, the pieces were lined up, the play preordained. Man, so many times in life you didn't get to pick your path because the way you went was decided for you.

Free will was such bullshit.

-Vishous's thoughts”

J.R. Ward
“After all, tragedy didn't discriminate, so everyone was subject to the same whims of fate.”

J.R. Ward
“And Vishous. . . V was the worst of them. He stood by the door, staring into space. Icy before, he was glacial now, a sinkhole in the room.

-Phury's thoughts”

J.R. Ward
“Love was worth sacrificing for, he thought as he left his room. Even if it wasn't yours.

-Phury's thoughts”

J.R. Ward
“I believe there's a hand that guides us. It just isn't always a gentle one. Or one that seems fair at the time. But I dunno, I try to trust in it now. When I freak, I just try to... shit, I guess trust in it. Because at the end of the day, what else can you do? Choice only gets you so far. Reasoning and planning too. The rest... it's up to someone else. Where we end up, who we know, what happens to the people we love... we don't have a lot of control over any of it.”

J.R. Ward
“All of us are taking the night off," Wrath said abruptly. "We need some regroup time."

Rhage snorted from across the table. "You're not going to make us play Monopoly again, are you?"

Yup." A collective groan rose up from the Brotherhood, one that Wrath ignored. "Right after dinner.”

J.R. Ward
“Gimme an S! A T! An O! A C! Followed by a K-H-O-L-M! What's it spell? HEAD FUCK.

- Jane”

J.R. Ward
“You would have made a fine warrior, you know that?"

I am one. Death is my enemy."

Yeah, it is, isn't it." God, it made such sense that he'd bonded with her. She was a fighter… like him. "Your scalpel's your dagger."

Yup.”

J.R. Ward
“V settled back against the pillows and measured the hard line of her chin.
"Take off your coat."
"Excuse me?"
"Take it off."
"No."
"I want it off."
"Then I suggest you hold your breath. Won't affect me in the slightest, but at least the suffocation will help pass the time for you.”

J.R. Ward
“Qhuinn smiled, baring his fangs. 'Has anyone ever shown you the difference between good touch and bad touch? 'Cause I'd love to demonstrate. We could start right now.”

J.R. Ward
“I love you. And I'm going to keep loving you even after you don't know I exist.”

“Stop it.
Do not feel safe with him. The Stockholm Syndrome is not your friend.”

J.R. Ward
“Falling into ruin was a bit like falling in love: Both descents stripped you bare and left you as you were at your core. And both endings are equally painful.”

J.R. Ward
“Praying's not going to help. Too late for that, Jane...I gave you a chance to have it on your terms. Now we'll do this on mine”