Mr. Matt's Reviews > Tyrant: Storm of Arrows

Tyrant by Christian Cameron

liked it
bookshelves: 2014, hf-ancient-world

Kineas and his companions are back. Alexander the Great is smarting from his captain's defeat and vows to subdue the Eastern Scythians on the Sea of Grass. Kineas and Srayanka - his Western Scythian woman - have vowed to aid their Eastern allies. And so begins an epic trek across the Ancient World.

Again, the author captures the feel of the ancient world. The distances involved are staggering. Crossing from Crimea to the Caspian sea is an unbelievable journey. Cameron captures the spirit of this trip - the logistics needed to move two thousand warriors and their camp followers. This is the author's strength - the authenticity. When Kineas crosses the Sea of Grass you can feel the wind whipping against your face.

Unfortunately, the authenticity is also the book's weakness. It is, at times, a very long story. Fortunately there is a payoff in the wait. The book's action scenes - the fight against Persian bandits, the battle in Hyrkernia (sp?), and finally the epic battle against Alexander himself are simply awesome.

The other thing that kind of bugged me is the mysticism associated with Kineas. He is having prophetic dreams. He sees his death, but also his victory. Meh. I don't like it. In my historical fiction I prefer to keep magic out of the picture - unless it is simply peoples' beliefs. In this case Kineas appears to be actually having real mystic experiences.

Three stars out of five. The book is simply too long at points, and I don't like the mysticism. On the plus side the action is great - epic battles and Alexander in a rare defeat at the hands of Scythian barbarians and a few Greek mercenaries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tyrant.

July 30, 2014 – Started Reading
July 30, 2014 – Shelved
August 10, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
August 10, 2014 – Shelved as: hf-ancient-world
August 10, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy Still think ive picked on the right series for CC with the Long Wars.

Mr. Matt Andy wrote: "Still think ive picked on the right series for CC with the Long Wars."

Agreed. For whatever reason I liked those books much more. Still lots of immersion and realism, but more exciting somehow.

Nicholas Berndt Long War series was great. So is his Chivalry Series about William Gold. It’s my favorite series ever, I think. Definitely top 4.