Margaret Welwood's Reviews > Library Lion

Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen

Jul 30, 2014

Library rules are meant to be followed, whether by human patrons or the King of Beasts himself. So when the story-loving, encyclopedia-dusting feline puts his huge paws on Mr. McBee’s desk and ROARS, he knows it’s game over.

Forlorn and bedraggled, rainwater pelting his great mane, Leo stands outside the glass library doors and gazes in. Barred from his beloved storytime, no longer able to provide a comfy backrest for young readers or a step stool to those needing a book on the top shelf, the huge beast grieves.

Until . . . .

I’ve read this delightful story to two K-3 day care groups, and I think it’s one of the best for capturing and holding interest. Part of it is, I think, the potential for drama. The children roared ferociously with me, and they imitated the lion’s whiny roar when the library storytime was over. They patted their feet on the floor quietly, imitating the his gentle footsteps, and enjoyed the picture of avid library patrons searching for their missing friend.

The teachers seemed to like it, too. Perhaps they see Library Lion as I do—not only a sweet, funny story, but also an encouragement to try to understand those who express themselves in a different way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Library Lion.

Finished Reading