Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > The Deep

The Deep by Nick Cutter

bookshelves: arcs, creepy-books, read-in-2014

BUMP FOR RELEASE DATE TODAY 1/13 - GET SCUUUUURRRED!

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I’m sure plenty of you will disagree with this 5 Star rating come January, but Honey Badger don’t give a shit so she’s giving it all 5.

“There is a specific depth you’ll hit where the soul finds it impossible to harmonize with its surroundings.

It’s not the darkness . . . It’s not the vast silence or emptiness or the absence of any life-forms he can draw warmth or certainty from . . . It’s not the pressure. It’s not even the fear of death that constantly nibbles at the edge of his mind.

It’s the sense of unreality. This out-of-body feeling that you’ve stepped away from the path your species has always tread. Things become dreamlike, essential, Your mind, seeking solace in the familiar, retreats to those things you understand, but those things become so much harder to grasp.”

“That's what she is, the Queen King of Refuse. So bow down to her him if you want, bow to her him. Bow to the Queen King of Slime, the Queen King of Filth, the Queen King of Putrescence. Boo. Boo. Rubbish. Filth. Slime. Muck. Boo. Boo. Boo.”

Yes, Nick Cutter has become the King of all things vile as far as I’m concerned and I will gladly bow down to him.

The blurb describes The Deep as a combination of The Abyss and The Shining. I hate when publishers write crap like that . . . so here, let me do it myself ; ) I thought The Deep was more like Sphere (don’t hate – go back and re-read or re-watch it, it’s good) meets It. There is definitely a “we all float down here” element to this story – there’s even a delightful little chapter about clowns *shudder*.

That being said, there are plenty of reviews out there that complain about the familiarity of the book, not only when it comes to being “inspired,” if you will, by well-known stories (my opinion? imitation is the sincerest form of flattery). Sure there have been other tales about “the deep” . . .

(okay, maybe that last one is a stretch, but you get the picture)

Trust me when I say Nick Cutter puts a brand new spin on everything he writes, and if anything, I found The Deep to be most reminiscent of The Troop . Nick Cutter is an author with an M.O. and you don’t even have to read the byline to know you’re reading his book.

As with The Troop, the story begins with a clear-cut plotline: There is a horrible new disease called “The ‘Gets” wiping out the population at an alarming rate and a possible cure (code name “ambrosia” or “the nectar of the gods”) has been discovered at the bottom of the ocean. Luke’s genius (and potentially mad) scientist brother is one of three who are researching this new substance from a station on the ocean floor, and he has asked the government to summon Luke to come help him.

Also like The Troop, once the reader is on the hook, Cutter immediately unleashes a spider-webbing of additional, complex plotlines that overshadow the original premise. Once again, it’s not the physical manifestations of horror that will keep you up at night – it’s the psychological torture Cutter puts you through getting to the finish line. Sure, he’s is great when it comes to the gross-out factor (one of the earliest scenes is a man suffering from The ‘Gets wandering aimlessly with a pack of mating (and therefore cannibalizing) mantises on his head – that’s nasty), but he has the innate ability to DISTURB you down to the cellular level. Cutter doesn’t believe in the idea of the slow burn – he’s going to grab you by the balls on Page 1 and torture you until the very last paragraph. He will make your heart pound out of your chest and you’ll discover that either your nerves are completely shot or you've come down with a sudden, incurable case of restless leg syndrome.

I would have given my first born for an ARC of this book. Endless thanks to NetGalley for giving it to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

Many reviewers post warnings for any potential “triggers” that certain readers may want to avoid. If you suffer from any of the following, you might want to skip this one:

Althaiophobia - Are you actually looking these up? This one isn’t really in the book, I was just checking ; )
Achluophobia
Kenophobia
Lygophobia
Maniaphobia
Melissophobia
(sorry, but I can’t resist using that .gif whenever possible)
Neophobia
Noctiphobia
Pantophobia
Scoleciphobia
Trypophobia

Basically, no one EVERYONE should read this book : )

And as for you, Nick Cutter? Well, I think I might just be your number one fan : )

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Deep.

July 30, 2014 – Shelved
July 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 27, 2014 – Started Reading
0.0% " "
August 27, 2014 –
1.0% "Dear work,\n \n Kindly go f*&^ yourself for the lunch hour so I can finally start reading this.\n \n Thanks,\n The Management"
August 27, 2014 –
9.0% "I managed to read a whopping 9% at lunch, but wrote approximately 1,714 pages worth of notes for my review so far.\n \n "
August 27, 2014 –
14.0% ""Clayton's voice floated out of the speaker. 'Come home, Lucas. Come down, Lycas. We need you, Lucas. Come home.'" "
August 28, 2014 –
23.0% ""'What are you so afraid of?' said that same voice inside Luke's head.\n \n 'Everything,' another voice answered.\n \n "
August 28, 2014 –
29.0% ""What could possibly make a noise like that? Had Clay brought a snake down for his tests? Oh God, what if he'd brought a python? Could it have gotten loose?"\n \n \n \n I'm fairly certain I'mma crap my drawers no matter what it \n ends up being . . ."
August 28, 2014 –
37.0% "At first when they talked about the "ambrosia" all I could think of was that horrible marshmallow/fruit salad concoction (which made me dry-heave).\n \n I've moved on and now my brain keeps wanting to switch \n "ambrosia" with "ambergris"\n \n \n \n and then I dry-heave)."
August 28, 2014 –
53.0% "As if I'm not already s^*%%#+g the bed tonight, you have to throw in a clown story, Cutter???? "
August 29, 2014 –
80.0% ""Go ahead, Luke," Mr. Hand seemed to say. "Touch me. Grab me."\n \n "
August 29, 2014 – Shelved as: creepy-books
August 29, 2014 – Shelved as: arcs
August 29, 2014 – Shelved as: read-in-2014
August 29, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

message 1: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Ahaahaha my same sentiments exactly!

message 2: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin Ok, now I really hope I win this in the giveaway

Edward Lorn Gah! I'm so behind. At 37% right now.

Marvin I take it you read The Troop?

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Edward wrote: "Gah! I'm so behind. At 37% right now."

SLACKER!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Marvin wrote: "I take it you read The Troop?"

Yes, and I don't think this one was as good, but it consumed 100% of my free time until I finished it and gave me nightmares, so it's still getting 5 Stars.

Edward Lorn Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Edward wrote: "Gah! I'm so behind. At 37% right now."

SLACKER!"

I can't help it, I is scurred! :P

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Edward wrote: "SLACKER!"

I can't help it, I is scurred! :P"

I totally freaked the F out in my sleep and then my brain said "what if you weren't really asleep just then???? Now whatcha gonna do?????" I had to finish to hopefully avoid that from happening again tonight.

message 9: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Barnsley I have this to read! I loved The Troop so been looking forward to it.

Edward Lorn I read that bit about the millipede last night, and I was literally shaking by the time I was done.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Edward wrote: "I read that bit about the millipede last night, and I was literally shaking by the time I was done."

Oh God that part about made me gnaw my own hands off once my fingernails were down to nubs.

message 12: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Wonderful review Kelly :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Jessi wrote: "Wonderful review Kelly :)"

Thanks Jessi : )

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Shit..I need this book!! Dang you Netgalley!!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Shit..I need this book!! Dang you Netgalley!!"

: (

Next time you want an ARC reeeeeeeeaaaaal bad you'll have sacrifice a live chicken like I did.

(I keeeed, I keeeeed)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Shit..I need this book!! Dang you Netgalley!!"

(I ke..."

Here chicky chicky..don't tell my child. (we have chickens!) LOL

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Kristin wrote: "Ok, now I really hope I win this in the giveaway"

Good luck!!!!

message 18: by Kathe (new) - added it

Kathe L Your review was really good! I want to read this book now haha

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Kathe wrote: "Your review was really good! I want to read this book now haha"

Thanks so much : )

message 20: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin Kathe wrote: "Your review was really good! I want to read this book now haha"

I finally broke down and did NetGalley too lol

message 21: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic Where the hell did you dig up Deep Star Six?
Igor

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Igor wrote: "Where the hell did you dig up Deep Star Six?
Igor"

My brain is filled with worthless information : )

Hannah (Vamp of Savannah) I want this one so bad! *hacks into NG to move things along*

message 24: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin NG denied me too :(

Charlie - A Reading Machine Reading it right now and loving it!! I

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Charlie - A Reading Machine Blog wrote: "Reading it right now and loving it!! I"

It's soooooooo good.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Kristin wrote: "NG denied me too :("

: (

I have no clue what I did in a past life to deserve being approved, but I'LL TAKE IT!

Charlie - A Reading Machine Yeah me neither! I've heard a lot of people getting shot down so feeling a special :)

message 29: by Elder Prince (new) - added it

Elder Prince I will definitely have to read this book. I've seen so many good reviews.

Alissa Patrick I just finished reading about the Tickle Trunk and its time for bed. FML

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Alissa wrote: "I just finished reading about the Tickle Trunk and its time for bed. FML"

Ha! Sweet dreams : )