Rowena's Reviews > The Rosie Project

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

bookshelves: humour
Recommended to Rowena by: Idarah

I went through a fluffy novel/chick lit phase during my late teens and early twenties and vowed I would never pick up such a book again. However, this book came highly recommended so I decided to give it a go.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Don Tillman is a socially inept university professor, with very few friends and an extremely rigid lifestyle. He has designed a questionnaire, "The Wife Project", to find himself a wife. Unfortunately his standards are incredibly high. However, his project is put on the backburner when he meets the very unconventional Rosie and helps her out with her own project.

The writing style was great. As I'm currently in academia, some of the depictions of academics and their thought process really made me laugh. I liked Don's personal development through the course of the book, and also learning how he sees life. Although it wasn't explicitly stated, I think Don has Asperger's Syndrome. I don't know much about this condition but reading it helped me realize not everyone thinks and sees things in the same way.I also loved the deadpan writing of the narrator. I think the story will get you thinking about a lot of things, for example empathy, authenticity, human connection. I'm so glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rosie Project.

July 30, 2014 – Shelved
July 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 30, 2014 – Shelved as: humour
September 19, 2014 – Started Reading
September 21, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Debbie "DJ" Yeah, read a fun one!

Rowena Haha, right? Enough with the seriousness, lol!

message 4: by Zineb (new) - added it

Zineb tell me about it!! I'm going through a chick lit/YA/Contemporary romance phase myself. I'll definitely give the book a try!

Jenna Debbie "DJ" wrote: "You got it! Just finished People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges, hilarious!!"

That sounds hysterical Debbie!

Debbie "DJ" You know how sometimes you just need a good belly laugh? This book is it. It felt like going to a one night stand up comic show. She has a special knack for taking everyday life situations with her husband, kids, friends, and making them hilarious. It doesn't take long to read, and my how good it felt to just laugh :)

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue So glad you enjoyed this, Rowena. I loved it and I'm looking forward to the sequel which is coming at year's end, I believe. Like everything else, Aspergers is on a continuum, but I'd say Don is a definite. I love his "talk" with families near the beginning. (I do have experience in my extended family)

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Sounds like a great read for someone tied largely to academic studies :^)

message 9: by Joe (new)

Joe Valdez I was afraid someone hacked your Goodreads account and posted this review for nefarious purposes, Rowena! I'm not the demographic for this book either, but understand it's very well written and funny. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Academics deserve to take a break from all that intellectual heavy lifting, don't they?

Rowena Zineb wrote: "tell me about it!! I'm going through a chick lit/YA/Contemporary romance phase myself. I'll definitely give the book a try!"

I loved chick lit at the time, Zineb, but finally it was time for me to branch out into other genres. I hope you enjoy this book!

Rowena Sue wrote: "So glad you enjoyed this, Rowena. I loved it and I'm looking forward to the sequel which is coming at year's end, I believe. Like everything else, Aspergers is on a continuum, but I'd say Don is a..."

Thank you, Sue:) I need to read more on Asperger's, what I know I learned from fiction so I know there's still tons more to learn.

Rowena Caroline wrote: "Sounds like a great read for someone tied largely to academic studies :^)"

Definitely:) Don actually reminded me a bit of one of my profs, haha:D

Rowena Joe wrote: "I was afraid someone hacked your Goodreads account and posted this review for nefarious purposes, Rowena! I'm not the demographic for this book either, but understand it's very well written and fun..."

Haha, that comment made me laugh, Joe! I know, I couldn't believe it myself! It was definitely a pleasant surprise and a quick read. Thank you, I really did need a break from my textbooks:)

message 14: by Caroline (last edited Sep 22, 2014 12:13PM) (new) - added it

Caroline I keep hearing that people have been pleasantly surprised by this book, so I'm looking forward to reading it. So, what made you decide to try this one, Rowena? Just the good ratings and reviews?

ETA: Also, I noticed there's a sequel.

message 15: by Rowena (last edited Feb 22, 2015 12:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rowena Caroline wrote: "I keep hearing that people have been pleasantly surprised by this book, so I'm looking forward to reading it. So, what made you decide to try this one, Rowena? Just the good ratings and reviews?

E..."

Glad you added it, Caroline! It would have been a great book for us to do another buddy read:) A GR friend recommended it to me. I'm curious about the sequel, will wait to read its reviews.