Doug's Reviews > The Sneetches and Other Stories

The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss

Dec 07, 2007

Recommended for: Humans

Why 5 stars? Why rate a children's book? Because there is still prejudice in the world, that's why. If we got the world leaders together, and brainwashed them with this book, war would disappear. Segregation, discrimination, prejudice, sophistry, bias and artificial prominance would go away. In his unique way, Theodore Giesel points out the folly of judging anybody by physical characteristics, or any other inaccurate method.

Lessons learned from this book:

Whether we have stars or not, no matter the color, race, language, gender, religion or orientation, we are all similar, with similar wants and needs. In addition, we CAN all be taught.

Sometimes, our best friends may come in a package that we may not accept unless we are open-minded enough to accept them. Even the strangest of bedfellows, in this book empty green trousers, have feelings, and great potential.

If we fail to give up those afore-mentioned biases, we will relegate ourselves to an immobile state. We will stubbornly stand, unrelenting, while the world passes us by, building roads and highways around us while we stagnate based on principle alone as the Zax characters did.

Never name your children all the same name. It causes confusion.

This book is a classic, appropriate for all ages. And, if you are careful enough to see past the ever-so-cute artwork, you just might learn something as you read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sneetches and Other Stories.

06/20/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Addumb (new)

Addumb Tolerance is the obvious lesson, but I'm thinking it may be a fruit grown on a tree of knowledge of good and evil. We can all get stuck in the same storm but react to it differently. Some will damn the rain, others snag mags or cover their heads with shopping bags, and some will surrender their time to a nearby cafe; thus, the Sneetches forgot who they had been and, accepting the loss of this self-awareness, found that their ideology was no longer effective. I've wondered how come the Sneetches with stars had figured themselves superior in the first place. Then, after losing their stars, regaining and losing them again, they learned that their feelings about themselves had stopped depending on the beloved design.

Now I've been watching my own star-shedding and donning cycles and am currently plain-bellied. My worst mid-life crisis is yet to come.

message 3: by Adrija (new) - added it

Adrija I just want to say simply that this is quite true