Loryn's Reviews > Fruits Basket, Vol. 1

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki Takaya

May 02, 2010

bookshelves: lib-265-books, fantasy, manga, young-adult-ya
Read on May 02, 2010

Tohru Honda, a sweet orphaned girl, was living in the forest in a tent waiting for the remodeling of her grandfather’s home to be finished. What she did not know was that the land was owned by the Sohma family and when they found her one day in the forest they offered to take her in. The Sohma boys are good looking and sometimes a bit testy, but Tohru instantly feels a connection with them.
It turns out, they are not exactly human; their family is cursed with the spirits of the Chinese Zodiac. Whenever they are hugged by someone of the opposite sex, they instantly transform into their animals. Tohru finds this out quickly after hugging Kyo and turning him into her favorite zodiac animal the cat. Kyo has always felt on the outs with his family, legend has it that the cat is the only animal not invited by God to join a party and Kyo still feels this betrayal on a daily basis. He is constantly trying to prove himself by attempting to beat Yuki. Both Yuki and Kyo seem to struggle with the fate they have been given and after Tohru comes into their lives they both go to her for advice.
In the end, Tohru’s time with the Sohma’s must come to an end and after getting a call from her grandfather, Tohru leaves them. She cannot believe she let herself get so attached to the boys though. How could she have been so silly to think they would let her be part of their family? Tohru has always struggled with feeling that she does not belong, and now that she is living with her actual family she realizes that with Kyo, Yuki, and Shigure is where she belongs.
This was my first manga that I have ever read and I am glad I started with this one. While a lot of the manga I have seen include lots of fight scenes, this one was more about the relationships that Tohru was building. The author has written comments before each chapter and one of them caught be off guard when she said that this manga is often referred to as a comedy. I personally did not really see that. Maybe it is because I do not know a lot about the Japanese manga culture, but I still enjoyed it. This would be a first pick for me to recommend to readers who are just starting to read mangas.

Characters: Tohru Honda, Kyo Sohma, Yuki Sohma, Sigure Sohma.
Genre: Manga, Graphic novel.
Subjects/Themes: Chinese zodiac, orphans, shapeshifters.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fruits Basket, Vol. 1.