C.'s Reviews > Mystery At Cranberry Farm

Mystery At Cranberry Farm by Lynn Manuel

Jul 29, 2014

bookshelves: riedel-titles-2014

Mystery At Cranberry Farm” hails from 1981 but I was too little to know it. I buy youth books if they’re Canadian. This fulfills literature’s great need of mysteries that aren’t crimes! I tire of “found a body, investigate the motive”. The puzzle to a real adventure and siphoning out secrets are the most realistic, enthralling basis for a story!

The barrier to a five-star outcome is the extremely annoying young sibling, Tori. Teddy & Tritch are better off working dually but Tori demands inclusion, then is too freaked out to be useful. As is the case in many children’s books, there was too much nitpicking and fruitless scenes squandered on Tori posing inane questions to Aunt Daisy. I am adamant that mystery is the one form of literature that needs to remain focused on the crux. A little setting up is of course warranted. I was thrilled to learn the Okanagan Valley is in fact an arid region, artificially irrigated to produce the lush land of fruit and vineyards we hear about. Oddly their Mom’s Aunt doesn’t grow cranberries. It’s her name.

Her loving, creative Grandma cherished priceless miniature books. Some were shrunken classics, some composed by famous names especially for the library of her dollhouse from England! The part that misfired is that her husband might wish to sell her treasure, to get a business going. They weren’t starving; he could have gotten a loan. It would certainly be more logical to say “no”, than hide them like a fugitive within her marriage. However she composed and illustrated her own story, a book of clues; which neither Daisy nor her niece solved but her children are invited to try. I loved Grandma’s very elaborate flowerbed and the dependency on learning each name. Lynn’s concept is wildly, brilliantly unique.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystery At Cranberry Farm.

July 29, 2014 – Shelved