Valerie's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

May 02, 2010

Read in February, 2010

Ever since I read Atwood's Oryx and Crake, I wasn't able to get the story out of my mind. Constantly wondering if there were any other survivors and wondering what happened to Jimmy after Oryx and Crake ended.

This book follows almost the same time line, but from the perspectives of Toby and Ren, two women that cross paths early in the book, but that choose two very different paths for survival. Like Oryx and Crake, I couldn't put this book down. I was absolutely fascinated by Atwood's vision of where our future may take us if we stay our course. Reality television taken to the extreme, super connected ever present devices, animal and food hybrids making some foods unrecognizable, bioengineering and corporations running the lives of ordinary citizens.

This book only goes about 30 minutes further into the time line that Oryx and Crake, and it's not necessary to read Oryx and Crake first, as they are truly parallel stories (no matter how much I hoped for THe Year of the Flood to have a different ending, I knew where the story was taking me and still couldn't wait to read the next word to see how Atwood would take us there.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.