Nara's Reviews > Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke

Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke by Anne Blankman

Jul 29, 2014

bookshelves: edelweiss, for-review, historical, owned-ebook, reviewed

Seriously, what a fantastic title. If that title doesn't make you want to grab a copy of this book as soon as possible, I don't know what will. I thought "Prisoner of Night and Fog" was pretty freaking good, but damn, "Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke" is one of the best book titles I've ever come across.

Well, anyway, moving on from the title: a very decent follow up to Prisoner of Night and Fog, I thoroughly enjoyed Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke.

I feel like perhaps this sequel was slightly lacking the intensity of the first book, as Gretchen and Daniel were more distanced from the villain of the book: Hitler. Whereas in the first book, Hitler was all too prominent, he's more of a distant threat in most of this book, although of course we do get confrontations at several points in the novel. That being said, the fear of our protagonists being on the run seeps through the pages, and there's undeniably a tension that's difficult to shake off.

Honestly, the best aspect of this series is the romance. Gretchen and Daniel have the type of relationship where they actually try and solve any problems they have by talking it out. It's a truly admirable one where you can tell they care deeply for one another, although of course there are many bumps and much angst along the way to bliss.

If you're a fan at all of historical fiction, or if you'd like to give the genre a try, the Prisoner of Night and Fog series makes for one fascinating read.

Ratings
Overall: 8/10
Plot: 4/5
Romance: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 2/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke.

July 29, 2014 – Shelved