Greg's Reviews > Battle Cry of Freedom

Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson

1927424
May 01, 2010

Read from May 01 to 17, 2010

This is the best overall book dealing with the Civil War that I am aware of. It wasn't just a bunch of facts and dates strung together, but a well told narration of this great struggle. McPherson outlined everything from the economy, politics, philosophies, manufacturing, home building, currency, and the ‘movers and shakers’ that leveraged and molded these into war strategies, tendencies, and actual battles from the start to the end of the war.
I came away surprised by some of the things that I learned. For example, I knew that there was a battle of ‘iron clad’ ships between the Monitor from the Union and the Merrimac from the Confederacy. I didn’t know that the Union went on to build 50+ Monitors and the Confederacy 25+ Merrimac type ships that were used to some effect in the war.
It was really a great book for anyone interested in getting a well rounded view of the Civil War and how it shaped our nation even to this day.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Cry of Freedom.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave There's a coincidence. I almost bought the same book on audible last night but I went for crime fiction instead. Nice to know it's sooo good!

Greg You can get this on Netlibrary if you want to.