Addie H's Reviews > The Duke of Shadows

The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran

bookshelves: h-rom-regency, 6-kindle, zk-forbidden-love, zm-opposites-attract, zn-unrequited-love

(Tropes: Forbidden Love, Opposites Attract, Unrequited Love)

I thought the 1st half was way better than the 2nd - the latter is challenging as they are both in very dark places - but on a whole another fascinating read.

- “You do not frighten me. You alarm me.”

- “You’re not meant to be grateful, Emma; you’re meant to be flattered. And perhaps a small bit flustered, if you can manage it. That would give me the advantage I seem to need one where you’re concerned.”
She eyed him warily. “You’re being silly, I think.”

- “You do not strike me as a Lothario. You’re far too serious for the part.”
“Oh? I did give it a small try, if you recall. And your mouth tasted quite sweet. But perhaps I was too subtle?”

- He pressed his face fully into her throat. For the space of several breaths he remained like that, breathing deeply against her. Her hand moved up to grip the back of his head, threading through the softness of his hair. A strange impulse to grip him harder, to cradle him fully, had her biting her lip. The urge was animal. Unnerving. Entirely out of her experience.

- He spoke against her neck. “Have I kissed you, then?”
“Not yet,” she whispered.
“Then you should be content.”
“I am certainly awake.”
He pulled away a little, just far enough to show her his appreciative smile.

- “I’m here,” he said into her ear, as the tears came faster. “Emma, I’m here with you now. Listen to me: I will always be here.”
Always, she thought. He said “always,” but he had forgotten to say finally. Finally you are here. Thank God, finally at last.

- There was so much to be said and asked between them. Being with her felt like charting the sea: there were marvels beneath, and they lured him, and he wondered whether he ever might reach the bottom.

- “Do you remember?” he said, shaping the words against her skin, so the memory that broke over her was not visual, but physical. He had brought stars out in her stomach that time. She had liked it then but now it made her want to scream; it was soft torture, the drip of a water clock when one had a migraine; it exacerbated the pain she already felt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke of Shadows.

July 28, 2014 – Shelved
May 8, 2019 – Started Reading
May 11, 2019 –
May 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan I found this too. It almost seemed like two different books. But I did enjoy the read, all the same.

Addie H Jan wrote: "I found this too. It almost seemed like two different books. But I did enjoy the read, all the same."

It was a little too angsty for my taste, but her books I've read so far definitely stands out and won't simply dissolve into the sea of historical romances :D