Maree Kimberley's Reviews > Boy, Lost

Boy, Lost by Kristina Olsson

bookshelves: aww2014

Boy, Lost is an incredible book. I knew of it (vaguely) but it wasn't until it won the 2014 Kibble Award that I picked it up to read. From the beginning, its raw honesty drew me in.

This is not an easy book to read. For me parts of it echoed events that had happened in my life, and the lives of my family. This is one of the great strengths of this memoir, that Olsson draws parallels between the events suffered by her mother and family and those suffered by many other Australians: the Stolen Generations, the Forgotten Children, those abused and violated by institutions supposed to care for them.

The writing is brilliant. I want to go through it line by line and try to tease out how she imbues such power in her writing. Each phrase, each paragraph is composed and controlled while simmering with pain. In the early stages of the book I almost found it too difficult to read; it literally took my breath away with the brutal honesty of its portrayal of domestic violence and grief.

But this book is life. It examines with honesty and love the tragedies that shape our lives, the holes they create, and the ways we strive to fill them. I can't recommend this book highly enough. It is an important book not only about one Australian family, but about many.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy, Lost.

July 28, 2014 – Started Reading