Pippin's Reviews > Devil's Bargain

Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel

The first book in a while I've found easy reading- whether it's because of the style or because it's actually something I like- it was a joy to read.

It flowed nicely, the plot was good and had a particularly nice twist, although those with more know in them may find it predictable. I also found some moments laugh out loud funny, so that's good.

Although at moments the characters were OC, which was frustrating.
(Prepare for my two cents) Especially Kirk- I never like the idea that Kirk is a womanizer (because in my eyes he really isn't) so it was kind of infuriating that the author went to mention three of the very few times in canon Kirk really was with a woman. Those three instances in the book make Kirk seem like a womanizer (when really, no). I was going to let it slide when Kirk only has eyes for one girl throughout the book, but my mind also told me that he was with the girl more times than he in total in canon and she was really the only woman in the book. If my memory serves me right there was another one, but she was portrayed to not be admirable in that sense(I would've given it a higher star rating, but I just have such a grudge against the portrayal of Kirk as a womaniser).
Also the thing about him loving command. Whilst that may be true, he loves the Enterprise for the beautiful ship she is, and not just because of his position in power.

Apart from that, I could imagine it as a Trekisode, with a few "I'm a doctor not a-" jokes thrown in, and the traditional (for want of a better word) banter at the end of an episode.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Bargain.

July 28, 2014 – Started Reading