Lola 's Reviews > Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder

Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder by Cameron Jace

it was ok
bookshelves: short-story, fairy-tale-retellings, paranormal, witches

Guys, you have to read this:
''Are you sexist or something?'' He raises a single eyebrow. ''Besides, I’ve always wanted to be a girl.''
''Wow.'' I take a step back and fold my arms in front of me. I can’t believe we’re having this conversation while a building is on fire in front of me. ''I didn’t expect that.''
''What? I always wanted to be a girl so I could find myself some awesome guy like me.''

*Shakes head* No no no no no.

I didn’t dig that guy’s humor.

Basically, what happens in this short prequel is Alice meeting a boy named Loki who is actually a Dreamhunter (the name says it all.) After that, she is using him in order to save Cinderella’s mom from being killed so she can give birth (of what I understood.)

The plot is not BAD but there were some things, again, that were confusing and happening too fast.

Also, there are some sentences I had to read three or four times before understanding a bit.

For example:
Ironically, I was flying to Venice to find the real Cinderella. The one everybody accidentally killed when they believed that she was a fairy tale character and didn’t exist.

Okay, so she went to find the real Cinderella. Who died. Who died because EVERYBODY ACCIDENTALY killed her. They killed her because they thought she was a fairy tale character. Okay, but what about the ‘and didn’t exist’ part? Does the author mean that people killed her BY NOT BELIEVING IN HER? I hope that is it, because I don’t have anything else.

Also:
''Believe me, she is dreaming. Immortal dreams are infinite and never stop as long as they are not awake in real life.''

It was said in the book that the witch died in her dreams. When you DIE, however you die, don’t you…die? Why is she still dreaming?

I absolutely don’t like Loki, especially the way he is talking. Another example since I have plenty of them:
''Yeah, I know. All girls don’t snort on the first night then it’s a Bambi the elephant sleeping next to me.''

No commentary.

Alice is not a likeable character but I do like her A BIT more than Loki. Although, she is kind of frustrating. There is this love/hate relationship between Alice and Loki but it’s all happening too fast since I’m pretty much sure the whole thing—finding Cinderella, entering the dream and saving the woman—took one hour.

The writing is okay-good. Really conflicted on that point but the book was fine to read. I mostly had problems with the characters then the writing that is for sure.

Why do I give this short story 1.5 stars then and not only 1?

Simply because the plot had its originality. It was too short, so I didn’t get much of it, but what I got felt promising enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder.

July 27, 2014 – Shelved
July 28, 2014 – Started Reading
July 28, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)

message 1: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington Great review, Lola! Sorry this one didn't work for you. Hopefully the next book will be a lot better! :)

Lola Trisha wrote: "Great review, Lola! Sorry this one didn't work for you. Hopefully the next book will be a lot better! :)"

Thank you, Trisha! :) I hope so, this series could be so good if only it were more serious. :/

message 3: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington Lola wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Great review, Lola! Sorry this one didn't work for you. Hopefully the next book will be a lot better! :)"

Thank you, Trisha! :) I hope so, this series could be so good if only it we..."

I hate it when something should be good and it isn't. Maybe you need a break from the series? :)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Still looking like a pass to me, Lola . . . but you keep on truckin' ;) Great review, dollface!

Lola Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "Still looking like a pass to me, Lola . . . but you keep on truckin' ;) Great review, dollface!"

I just know it's going to get better, Jess!!
Thank you. :D

Lola Trisha wrote: "Lola wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Great review, Lola! Sorry this one didn't work for you. Hopefully the next book will be a lot better! :)"

Thank you, Trisha! :) I hope so, this series could be so good ..."

NOOOOO. I KNOW IT'S GOING TO GET BETTER. HAVE SOME FAITH! ;)

message 7: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington Lola wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Lola wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Great review, Lola! Sorry this one didn't work for you. Hopefully the next book will be a lot better! :)"

Thank you, Trisha! :) I hope so, this series co..."

OKAY. OKAY. I HAVE FAITH! ;)

Lola GOOD! :D :D

message 9: by Mysza (new)

Mysza Great review Lola! Oh my, it says a lot, sorry, guy seems like douche.

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ So sorry Lola! = /

message 11: by Kuroi (new)

Kuroi Ouch. This seems like a harsh read.

Lola Mysza wrote: "Great review Lola! Oh my, it says a lot, sorry, guy seems like douche."

Exactly! It was pathetic. xdd Thank you :)

Lola SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "So sorry Lola! = /"

Thanks, Sue! :)

Lola Krishna *wants to be a black wolf* wrote: "Ouch. This seems like a harsh read."

Well I was like WTH so many times and eye rolling as well.

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine That joke makes no sense whatsoever....

Lola Katherine wrote: "That joke makes no sense whatsoever...."

Yeah, so weird lol.

message 17: by destini mia (new)

destini mia With that one quote I know this is not for me :/
Lovely, honest review!

Lola Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie wrote: "With that one quote I know this is not for me :/
Lovely, honest review!"

Yeah, and I completely understand! Thank you! :D

message 19: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Ouch! :( It seems that this book series isn't having a promising starting since the book 1 seemed to be quite weak too.

Lola Alejandro wrote: "Ouch! :( It seems that this book series isn't having a promising starting since the book 1 seemed to be quite weak too."

Yeah but book one was a bit better. ALTHOUGH, the premise is good but the characters and writing nit really. :/

Lola Anasylvia wrote: "Sorry this wasn't a winner for you Lola. But Great review:)"

Thank you, my dear Anasylvia. xx

message 22: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Lola wrote: "Alejandro wrote: "Ouch! :( It seems that this book series isn't having a promising starting since the book 1 seemed to be quite weak too."

Yeah but book one was a bit better. ALTHOUGH, the premise..."

Well, at least is good to know that there was some improvement :)

Rachel Reads Ravenously This book lost me at the first quote, lol. Great review Lola, sorry it didn't work out.

Lola Right? Sigh, thanks Rachel :)

Angie~ Faery of Weirdness Cool review, I seriously need to read AAL your reviews so I know what I should expect...Thanx XD

Lola Thank you :) What you should expect of the series? Are you interested in reading it?

message 27: by Exina (new)

Exina LMAO, I really enjoyed your analysis of those parts! Fantastic review, Lola! :D

Lola Exina wrote: "LMAO, I really enjoyed your analysis of those parts! Fantastic review, Lola! :D"

It's so easy with books having those kinds of dialogs. XD They make my 'work' so easy. (That's so mean, ha ha ha...) Thank you!! :)

Lola Thank you Nika :) I hope so as well.

Jodie Louise Oh man! I had such high hopes for this series too!

Lola Oh well...STILL, maybe a sequel will be good. ^^

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Great review Lola! Yeah not my type of humor either. I noticed you are running across a lot of 2 star reviews. I hope your next read is really good. :)xo

Lola I just finished a book :) And it was nice! Will give it 3 stars and now I'm off writing the review. xd Thank you! :D Must be summer...The hot weather?? I don't know ahah...maybe I'm just picking up boring books that's all. :P

message 34: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Lola wrote: "I just finished a book :) And it was nice! Will give it 3 stars and now I'm off writing the review. xd Thank you! :D Must be summer...The hot weather?? I don't know ahah...maybe I'm just picking up..."

I am glad to hear you read a good one,hope they continue to be good:D

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Great review hun! I was so confused while reading the quotes lol.

Lola Right??? Imagine me. xddd
Thank you! xx

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I snorted so bad with the writing. You are so kind, Lola! I wish I could be more like you. :D

Lola You think?? I thought I was a bit brutal...but if that's how you're feeling it's your right. ^^