Lauren Stoolfire's Reviews > Doubt

Doubt by Anne-Rae Vasquez

bookshelves: adventure, sci-fi, mystery, paranormal, fantasy, urban-fantasy, young-adult

Actual rating 4.5 stars

Doubt: Among Us Trilogy Book 1 is a story I really wish more people knew about because it's really, really awesome! If you like City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor, the tv show Fringe and/or Supernatural, you just might want to read this book by Anne-Rae Vasquez. In case anyone is interested in reading a ARC ecopy, you can do so right here.

Both Harry and Cristal have just earned their PhD's at the young age of 21. They have always been geeks and have found friends in other social outcasts through online virtual reality gaming. As newly minted adults they are having difficulty adjusting to life in the "real" world. Through Harry's popular online game, he's drawn in friends/gamers into his personal mission to find his missing mother and, potentially, their own missing family members. During Harry's missions, Cristal and a group of Truth Seekers come across information that changes everything and even makes them doubt the reality of their lives.

I was absolutely hooked on Doubt from page one! This exciting character-driven tale has just the right amount of action, suspense, mystery, fantasy and sci-fi elements, and surprising twists to to keep my eyes glued to the screen (I read an ecopy through ePubBud) and breathlessly awaiting the next chapter.

I love the characters and where the author takes them over the course of the story. In a story like this the characters have to be relatively likeable and relatable or the story falls apart, but I can say the Vasquez pulled that off reasonably well. Of course, the reader has to suspend their disbelief over the course of events (really trying to avoid spoilers), but for the most part what happens feels like there is the possibility that it could actually happen because it's so well grounded with it's characters. That being said I'm only really knocking the story half of a star because the book has a pretty good sized cast and it took awhile to keep track of everyone.

Otherwise, though, Doubt is absolutely fantastic and I highly, highly recommend it! I was not ready for it to end and I am now eagerly awaiting Book 2!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doubt.

July 27, 2014 – Started Reading
August 2, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 2, 2014 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
August 2, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great Review!

The Author Watches Supernatural,Fringe xD

Lauren Stoolfire I was just wondering about that! :D

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 03, 2014 10:29AM) (new)

Lauren wrote: "I was just wondering about that! :D"

Same! I Went To Her Website and That's What I Saw

message 4: by Anne-Rae (last edited Aug 03, 2014 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne-Rae Vasquez First of all big thank you Lauren and Ginny for your support!

I'm appointing you both as an honorary Truth Seekers.

I am GLUED to watching Supernatural on Netflix every night. I am a huge fan of Fringe and Medium and so glad that you both "got" the story of Doubt.

You have made my day as an author. Watch me on my show Fiction Frenzy TV http://youtube.com/fictionfrenzytv .

cheers,
Anne-Rae

Lauren Stoolfire Anne-Rae wrote: "First of all big thank you Lauren and Ginny for your support!

I'm appointing you both as an honorary Truth Seekers.

You're very welcome! More people should really find out just how awesome this story is. :)

And yay! We're honorary Truth Seekers!

Anne-Rae Vasquez As honorary Truth Seekers,
First mission is to check your GoodReads inbox for RESIST (WIP). Mission: Beta Read

Second mission: expect a package in the mail within 3 weeks containing secret papers signed by ... CLASSIFIED INFO ...

Welcome to the Truth Seekers,
Anne-Rae

Lauren Stoolfire Anne-Rae wrote: "As honorary Truth Seekers,

Understood! :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Anne-Rae wrote: "As honorary Truth Seekers,

Understood:)

Anne-Rae Vasquez Go forth Truth Seekers and save the world :)

Mission 3:

Watch this... just for the fun of it...

The New Prophet... as told by Sam and Dean

Lauren Stoolfire Anne-Rae wrote: "Go forth Truth Seekers and save the world :)

Mission 3:

Watch this... just for the fun of it...

The New Prophet... as told by Sam and Dean"

Awesome! :) I love how that was edited!