Kathleen Hagen's Reviews > Oprah: A Biography

F 50x66
May 01, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-audio-books, 2010-nonfiction
Read in April, 2010

Oprah, a Biography, by Kitty Kelley, narrated by Kitty Kelley, produced by Random House Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

I always feel guilty when I give in to a good gossip read, but I do usually give in. In this case the book was worth the trouble. Kitty Kelley takes pride in writing unauthorized biographies because it keeps her from being under the thumb of the person she’s writing about. In this case, she reviewed Oprah shows and transcripts, interviewed more than 800 people, and in general researched the book for almost four years before writing it. What we get is an exhaustive, and exhausting, biography of Oprah. But Kitty Kelley takes Oprah through all the different phases of her more than two decades on television, the amazing and inspiring and, in many respects, ruthless, way Oprah maintained her staying power and made millions. It is a reasonably well-rounded account, although I sincerely doubt that Oprah appreciated some of the things revealed there about her character and about events that took place. I’m glad that I took the time to read it, and Kitty Kelley was a good narrator of her own book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oprah.