Sarah's Reviews > My Life and Hard Times

My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber

Apr 30, 2010

did not like it
Read in April, 2010

My Life and Hard Times. James Thurber. 1933. Perennial Classics. 106 pages. ISBN 0060933089.

Okay, okay, so I know James Thurber is a celebrated author and artist who spent the majority of his career writing for The New Yorker, but that was over 50 years ago. I really need to start washing my hands of classics such as these because they're just too old. I can appreciate his talent, but from an enjoyment standpoint I just need to stick to later, humorous biographies written by people that are still alive and dwelling in current times. Even reading Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon Days is pushing it.

My Life and Hard Times is a very short, little book telling funny little stories from James Thurber's childhood, teenage, and college years. I have heard these types of "when I was young we walked 20 miles up the hill to school in snow" stories BILLIONS of times, so although this book may have been original at some point in time, it definitely isn't for me. My Life and Hard Times is not terrible or poorly written, but is however fairly boring and made me sleepy.

My favorite chapter is "University Days". Thurber tells of his frustration in science class trying to get the microscope to work without any luck. His rant about seeing dust particles or seeing his own eyeball is hilarious because I can totally relate!

Although the book is only 106 pages long, I would definitely recommend picking up a more modern humorous biography if you're just looking for light and funny entertainment. David Sedaris is quite prolific in the humorous memoir world, and many successful comedians such as Sarah Silverman and Wanda Sykes have their own books as well.

Read more book reviews by DreamSE22 at http://DreamworldBooks.com!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life and Hard Times.

message 1: by Ladiibbug (new)

Ladiibbug Hey Sarah :-)

How did you choose James Thurber? A few months ago, Keith Olbermann (MSNBC's Countdown news show) began reading Thurber short stories at the end of Friday's shows. He read Thurbur to his father while his dad was near death in the hospital.

Before hearing the Thurber stories read by Olbermann, I would have hazarded a guess that he wrote pet-related short stories (but wait, that's James Herriot or Harriot though).

My favorite Thurber that was read on TV was the one about the guy who just wanted to hide in a box to get away from life for a bit.

Take care :-)

message 2: by Mogulito (new) - added it

Mogulito This review is retarded. You've added nothing other than telling us who you are dear. And it's not pretty. Oh look!!! New things, yay!!