Kamilla's Reviews > The Memory Thief

The Memory Thief by Emily Colin

A book that I think everyone should read.
A story of love, loss and promises kept.
Maddie and Aiden are deeply in love. Aiden is the adventureous type, always planning or going mountain climbing. He leaves on his next climb with the words "- I will come back to you Maddie. Trust me!". But then disaster strikes. Maddie gets the dreaded phone call in the middle of the night. Aiden has fallen, they can't find him. At the same time, Nicholas wakes from a coma after having been in a motorcycle accident but something is weird. He can't remember anything from his own life, yet all these feelings and memories are there for a life that is not his. What's going on? While Maddie suffers a devastating loss and tries to cope with life without Aiden, Nick is trying to find out what on earth is happening with him. Who is that beautiful woman in his dreams he loves so much, who is the cute little boy he desperatly wants to see. His life has been turned upside down, all of a sudden he has new likes, and dislikes (eg: he now likes whiskey and hates wine, now he smokes, craves nicotine, whereas he has never smoked before, he now even makes love differently). It's like he is a new person. Or is he?
The story is written in a point of view format that gives it such depth. We feel for each of the characters, see exactly what they are going through, feel their loss, sadness and frustration. All the characters are likeable, each are unique and seeing through their eyes we get to know them, get to understand them.
Aiden has made a promise to Maddie that he is desperate to somehow keep.
The story is beautiful, sometimes creepy, often teary. A little mystical, a little ghost story-like, a lot love story-like.
It's not really a supernatural love story, more like a story of deep love, of devastating loss and of moving on. Each character makes a huge emotional journey through the book: Maddie from love through loss to somehow allowing herself the possibility to love again, Aiden of deep love and to keep promises and to love enough to be able to let go and move on, and Nick from a life that was somehow stuck in routine and emptiness to the realisation of new possibilities.
As we read their story, we cry for them, feel sad for them, and cheer them on as finally they each find what they are looking for.
Emily Colin's writing is easy to read, flowing and continuous. There is no fluff, no unnecessary phrases, just enough description to allow the reader to see and feel what she intended.
As sad as the stroy's premise is, it's still uplifting in the end. It sooths the souls.
A book that everyone should read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Thief.

July 26, 2014 – Shelved