Adam McDonald's Reviews > Freedom™

Freedom™ by Daniel Suarez

M 50x66
Apr 30, 2010

Read from April 30 to May 01, 2010

My review has to come in 2 parts, but before I get to it, I must make one thing clear. In order to understand and get the most out of this book, you MUST read its prequel, DAEMON, before you pick this one up. If you don't you will have no idea about the plot, characters, etc. So read DAEMON first!

Now, for the first part. I was originally only going to give this book 3 stars, not because it's not a good or enjoyable read, but because a lor of what takes place relies heavily on the reader's experience with MMOG's (massive multiplayer online games) like World of Warcraft, Everquest, etc. I completely enjoyed it, but I thought others might not due to this fact.

I finally decided on 5 stars, not because these themes became less important throughout the story, but because he lightened up on the gaming aspect and showed how his including them in the story did have a lot to do with the plot, and will eventually make perfect sense, even to the non-gamer crowd.

I am deliberately avoiding mentioning what takes place because it would be nigh impossible to avoid spoilers, and this is a story that I would not want to ruin by revealing plot points, but let me just say it takes everything you learned from the first book, stands it on its head, and then shakes it into oblivion.

I wish a few subplots had been more thoroughly fleshed out, and that the ending was less ambivalent, but if you enjoyed the first book, or are looking for interesting insights on society, civilization, the free market, socialism, etc then you should enjoy this book as much as I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom™.