B.A. Wilson's Reviews > Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel

Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farizan

24206425

bookshelves: ya, contemporary, lgbtqia, diversity

I got a copy of the ARC for this novel from Algonquin YR through a Goodreads Giveaway, and I read it almost straight through. It sucked me in fast with the perfect amounts of humor, angst, and heartfelt moments.

I totally adored this diverse story which is about growing up, being different, and choosing the type of person you want to become, even if others would choose differently for you. It sent me back about 18 years to those trippy feelings of desperate first crush, to unexpected humiliations, to that desperate desire to both be myself and also make the people I love happy, and to the misdirection and lies of omission that are often mistaken for truths.

The characters were all unique, well-developed, and relatable (Goodreads says that isn't a word, but I have to insist). Leila charmed me fast with what seemed to be almost a complete lack of charm. That's not to say she isn't adorable. She's just lovable in those unexpected ways that people don't always get to see on the surface, which makes her a very interesting MC. She is refreshing and real, and I loved hearing about her Persian culture, family, and values.

Parts of this story remind me a lot of that Mark Twain quote,(view spoiler)

I love that quote, and I love this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel.

July 26, 2014 – Shelved
July 26, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 29, 2014 – Started Reading
July 29, 2014 –
0.0% "I just won this novel in a Goodreads giveaway by Algonquin, and I can't wait for it to arrive. Woot!"
August 11, 2014 –
0.0% "Woot! I just got this book in the mail yesterday! I am so excited to read it before everyone else! :)"
August 12, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 3, 2014 – Shelved as: ya
April 2, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
April 2, 2016 – Shelved as: lgbtqia
May 27, 2019 – Shelved as: diversity

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Jenny Levine Adding to my reading list - thanks.

B.A. Wilson You should. I really enjoyed it. :)