sjams's Reviews > Flora Segunda

Flora Segunda by Ysabeau S. Wilce

it was ok
bookshelves: 2015, adventure, alternate-reality, coming-of-age, fantasy, fiction, yalit

I fell in love with the description - it sounds like a magical world, full of wonder, where you always find something new with the thousand rooms. But then the story really doesn't talk about that much. More like the mundane life of the girl who lives there, then how she takes on a problem. There is not nearly enough magic in it for my taste, especially in a world so situated in magic! Does she never wonder how or why she can wield magic? That's what would be the most interesting to me.

The world is absolutely fascinating: I suppose it takes place in an alternate-reality California, near San Francisco based on the Presidio. I love things that take place near the home of my heart. What else happens in people's day to day lives there? Why is magic banned? Who else lives in the Great Houses and what do they do? Why was the Butler of Flora's house banished???

None of my questions were solved in this book. It was more the adventures of the girl, whom I didn't really care about, either. I cheered her growing up in the end, as one cheers all people growing up, but throughout I just... I wished she asked more questions. I wished she thought less about her idol and what she hates about the world and more about why the world is the way it is. Or things about the world. I was pretty disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flora Segunda.

July 26, 2014 – Shelved
June 12, 2015 – Shelved as: coming-of-age
June 12, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 12, 2015 – Shelved as: fiction
June 12, 2015 – Shelved as: yalit

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Maryam Noor Well, this is the first book (ithink) so perhaps a lot of questions would be answered in the last one.