Dianne's Reviews > Us

Us by David Nicholls

bookshelves: best-of-2015, man-booker-2014

I just finished reading this for a second time. I only do that with 5-star books and I am revising my rating accordingly. This book is wonderful!

It's the story of a marriage in peril, narrated by the husband, Douglas. He is a British biochemist - a man who is ruled by logic and scientific reason. Douglas is improbably married to Connie, an artist, who is laissez faire to the extreme. Indeed, these two could not be more polar opposites. They have a seventeen-year old son, Albie, who is of his mother's temperament with a healthy disdain of all things conventional, including his father. When Connie announces to Douglas one night that she feels their marriage has run its course and she may want to leave, Douglas insists that the family stick to a previously planned Grand Tour of Europe where he secretly hopes to win his wife and son back.

The story of the trip is interwoven brilliantly with the backstories of Douglas and Connie. Nicholls has done this masterfully - sometimes this technique can backfire and pull you out of the flow of the story, but not here. He is carefully stitching the tapestry of a marriage, of three lives.

Douglas's narration is humorous, self-deprecating and occasionally heartbreaking. This book may seem like it would be a downer, but it is not. It's life - and ultimately, it's hopeful.

Very well done - full of insight, wisdom and wry observations. Highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Us.

July 26, 2014 – Shelved
July 26, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 12, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Hardcover Edition)
August 12, 2014 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
January 2, 2015 – Started Reading
January 3, 2015 –
page 60
15.0% "Loving Nicholls' writing and how he is shaping his characters with their dialogue. I feel as though I know these people."
January 3, 2015 –
page 178
January 4, 2015 –
page 284
January 4, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015
January 4, 2015 – Finished Reading
August 9, 2018 – Shelved as: man-booker-2014

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Debbie "DJ" (new) - added it

Debbie "DJ" Looking forward to your thoughts.

Connie Just got this on audio.....

Amber this will be my next audiobook. 5 stars??!! Now you've got me more excited.

message 4: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne I bet this will be fabulous as an audiobook if they get the right narrator as Douglas. Some of it is so funny!

message 5: by Renata (new) - added it

Renata This is on its way to me so I am very excited to see your rating. Need to read something quick while I wait.

message 6: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Did you finish "The Martian?"

message 7: by Renata (new) - added it

Renata Yes, I finished last night. Loved it.

Noelle Your reviews are the best. Reserving at the library now!

message 9: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Thank you, Noelle. I hope you enjoy it!

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol I too have this novel as an audio. Your excellent review persuaded me to move it up on my reading list.

Denise Just finished it!

message 12: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Denise, I just read your review! Glad you liked it!

Kelly Cosio Reading it now- love it so
Far

message 14: by Kirsty (new) - added it

Kirsty Law Have read this and thoroughly enjoyed it

message 15: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy Nelson Listened to the book on audio - great voice. Wonderful story. His portrayal of Albie was dead on.