Nicola Mansfield's Reviews > Women, Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything

Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth

Apr 30, 2010

did not like it

I read 117 of 211 pages and could not continue to read any further. The book was not what I had thought it would be. I have not read anything by this author before and going by the publisher's summary and the title I had expected this book to incorporate the Judaeo-Christian God into women's struggle with weight loss and food relationship. That surmise was incorrect, the author's concept of the word "God" could be more clearly stated as "whatever supreme deity, power or feeling you happen to believe in". This was not what I wanted. The book is divided into three parts: Principles, Practices and Eating. I managed to read through the Principles section and found the information on emotional eating and loving yourself as who you are informative but not anything I hadn't read before. Only one religion is actually mentioned and quoted from and that is Buddhism. Again, not what *I* was looking for. The Practices section became too new-agey for me and I could not continue to read. I will say though that the writer has a fun, upbeat, humorous voice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women, Food and God.

Started Reading
April 30, 2010 – Shelved
April 30, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I think that the reason that the book referred to "God" as "whatever supreme deity, power or feeling you happen to believe in" is because she was trying to appeal to everyone's religious beliefs, not just yours. Just clearing that up.

Nicola Mansfield I realize that. Just would have been nice if the publisher's summary had mentioned that. Then I would have known beforehand that it would not appeal to my religious beliefs.

Heather It would seem that by keeping the definition of God open to any and all interpretation, Roth was creating an accessibility that does not often exist in our Judeo-Christian dominated society.