Linda Wells's Reviews > The Vacationers

The Vacationers by Emma Straub

A New York City family of four and three friends take a dream vacation to the beautiful island of Mallorca, off the coast of Spain. Franny, the "mother in chief" arranges a house swap and they all settle into a fabulous, spacious villa, complete with swimming pool, gourmet kitchen, and scenic vistas in all directions. Plus, the beach is only ten minutes away.

What a wonderful set up for a great story! From the middle aged couple with marital problems, to their virginal eighteen year old daughter and her twenty-eight year old brother with his cougar "fitness trainer" girlfriend, the fun begins. Right? Well, not so fast. Tensions mount between the middle aged couple due to his casual, impulsive affair with an office intern, that not only ruined his marriage but cost him his job. The teenage daughter has her own problems because she got drunk at a party and has to try to live with the embarrassment of her actions, all recorded for posterity on social media. She goes to extremes to try to forget what she's done, and with the help of a handsome Spanish tutor, she accomplishes her goals.

The two week vacation gives characters plenty of time to explore the island and their relationships, all trying hard to face their struggles and reconcile their problems. The author does a great job with her descriptive details of delicious cuisine, explicit sexual encounters, and lovely scenery. which makes this a great summer read. I think of the old saying: The family that plays together, stays together." Or does it?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vacationers.

July 26, 2014 – Started Reading
July 26, 2014 – Shelved
August 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Aditi (new)

Aditi The book's pretty interesting! :-) Loved your review!

Linda Wells Thank you so much, Aditi!

message 3: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Linda wrote: "Thank you so much, Aditi!"

My pleasure :)

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hall Fab review Linda and all the more so because this one is sitting on my shelf unread as yet! Better get cracking. Thank you x

message 5: by debra (new) - added it

debra Sounds good, Linda. Thanks for the review. ; ))

Linda Wells Rachel wrote: "Fab review Linda and all the more so because this one is sitting on my shelf unread as yet! Better get cracking. Thank you x"

Thank you! : ) I hope you like it! Let me know!

Linda Wells debra wrote: "Sounds good, Linda. Thanks for the review. ; ))"

Thanks, Debra! : )