C.J. Fallowfield's Reviews > Pieces of Me

Pieces of Me by Carrigan Richards

A very well written story focussing on the life of teenager Corinne and her close relationship with her brother David and her boyfriend James.

It's a tale of first love, first loss, grief, the feelings of despair and hopelessness, then ultimately the joy of seeing the sunshine break through those oppressive clouds and learning to live, and love, again.

Corrine comes from a close knit family and her best friend Abby, is also David's girlfriend. Corrine starts seeing a senior at high school James and the four of them become firm friends and we get to see the blossoming of first love between Corrine and James over the course of many months, their relationship is so sweet to read, typical teenagers in love and taking their time to get to really know each other before giving into their desires. Corrine feels lost when they all move onto College leaving her behind to finish her last year of high school, but they all keep in frequent contact, while Corrine befriends a new girl at school, Lisa.

Life as Corrine knows it however is shattered by a tragic event, that ultimately leads to her being admitted into a psychiatric hospital and being cut off from her friends, family and more importantly her lifeline and soul mate James.

Pieces of Me charts Corrine's struggle to accept the tragedy that has befallen her, while shutting out everyone that cares about her, only listening to the one person she shouldn't, who actually manages to alienate her from everyone that could actually help her.

I felt as if Carrigan Richards, the author, really understood the darkness that grips you when you experience loss, anyone who has will be touched by many of the scenes. I rated it 4/5 and the only reason I didn't give it that extra star was for me personally, the way the "event" that led to Corrine's hospital stay was drip feed in the form of flashbacks and narration to her psychiatrist. This left me a feeling a little disconnected to what could have been some extremely powerful emotional reactions to Carrigan's story. I would have preferred to read it in the sequence it happened, but my reading preference should not deter anyone from picking up this insightful novel. An excellent debut novel, which should resonate with anyone who has ever lost someone they love and struggled to find themselves again.

** I was provided with a copy by the author for a fair and honest review **
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pieces of Me.

July 25, 2014 – Shelved