Dana Beyer's Reviews > Firstlight: The Early Inspirational Writings of Sue Monk Kidd

Firstlight by Sue Monk Kidd

U 50x66

bookshelves: community, spiritual

It is amazing book about finding the 'still small voice' inside her. Sue bases this book on her own l family life. She is able to see God everywhere in everyone. This quote is an example of the simplicity and compassion in her descriptive writing prose: "I have one of those wooden Russian nesting dolls. If you open her up, you find another doll inside, and if you open that one up, you will find still another doll. In fact you can keep opening until you have nine separate dolls standing in a row, each one complete and individual, each able to stand on her own. And yes, there is not a moment when I look at them unaware that these dolls are a part of the whole, that the all belong together. They are separate, yes, but they are also inseparable.

I believe the human family, and indeed all creation is fashioned something like that nesting doll. Each part if unique and independent, but nevertheless inextricably linked, ever belonging to the larger whole. We We contain the other and are ourselves contained."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firstlight.

July 25, 2014 – Shelved