C.G. Drews's Reviews > Good Omens

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: paranormal, read-2014, adult, 5-star

I won't lie: I read this because it has a) Crowley in it, and b) it's an adult book and I was adulting. (That was exhausting though. Please, lead me back to the children's aisle. That's where I belong.) I totally enjoyed it though because it's HILARIOUS. Yeah maybe the story is a bit waffly in places and there are some useless tangents it runs off on, but it is downright funny. Why? Oh, oh keep calm. I'll show you.

First of all, it is SO like the Supernatural TV series. What can I say? I'm a huge fan. I'm such a huge fan that I picked up this book because I recognised THE DEMON'S NAMES. Come on. That's probably a little on the weird side. I also wanted to read more Neil Gaiman (I'd only read Coraline before now) and start for the first time something by Terry Pratchett. I'm completely sold to both of them. But I really think that the Supernatural TV series borrowed stuff from this. Or else the coincidences are pretty dang astounding. For once that doesn't make me angry though. This was first published in 1990, so I know they're not copying. So that's okay.

So we have the stars: Crowley and Aziraphale. I love them so much.
description
They're totally Cas and Crowley from Supernatural. Down to AZIRAPHALE WEARS A FREAKING TRENCH COAT.

Aziraphale looked down at his new body which was, unfortunately, very much like his old body, although the overcoat was cleaner. (pg. 364)

Plus Aziraphale is unfortunately devoid of a lot of pop references and is very serious. And also fantastically awesome.

Crowley isn't the king of hell though, like in the TV series. He's kind of just...a demon who was told to do a job (plant the antichrist baby in the correct family) and who messed that up and therefore LOST THE ANTICHRIST. I mean, come on! He lost the antichrist. Can we take a moment to just laugh, okay?! The ridiculousness. Also there's plenty of banter like this:

"But it might be written diffferently somewhere else," said Crowley. "Where you can't read it."
"In bigger letters," said Aziraphale.
"Underlined," Crowley added.
"Twice," suggested Aziraphale.

And this:

Aziraphale: "I was going to ask you the same thing -- WATCH OUT FOR THE PEDESTRIAN!"
Crowley: "It's on the street, it knows the risks it's taking!"

img src="http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m77..." width="400" height="209" alt="description"/>

Besides being funny and having epic characters, I also enjoyed the hilarity of the plot and the genius of the twists. It loosely used facts and lore and turned it into an epic and warped English version of having an apocalypse before dinner. It's not too ridiculous though. Although I thought the antichrist would be older. He's 11. And named Adam.
description
Okay! Okay! Sorry about all the comparisons. BUT I'M KIND OF OBSESSED WITH THE TV SERIES.

What I didn't like?
Well, it got a bit boring when it dived into Anathema and Newt's story line. I honestly couldn't care less about them. The middle-ish of the book isn't so much about Crowley, so I was disappointed. But it had more Adam and he had an interesting story. I loved his hellhound that turned into a little tiny dog because it's master unknowingly requested it. A hellhound...as a tiny dog. BAH AHAHA. The writing was also thick. It's not YA writing, which is what I'm used to. I'm not saying it was bad, but I am a "get to the point already" kind of reader, so it was a struggle to stay motivated at times.

It's definitely inspired me to read some Terry Pratchett though and maybe dig out more Neil Gaiman. I love these guys. They have the best senses of humour the world could ask for and this book is genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Terry Pratchett
“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”

Neil Gaiman
“An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards.”
Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Terry Pratchett
“Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a treeful of monkeys on nitrous oxide.”
Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Neil Gaiman
“He had heard about talking to plants in the early seventies, on Radio Four, and thought it was an excellent idea. Although talking is perhaps the wrong word for what Crowley did.
What he did was put the fear of God into them.
More precisely, the fear of Crowley.
In addition to which, every couple of months Crowley would pick out a plant that was growing too slowly, or succumbing to leaf-wilt or browning, or just didn't look quite as good as the others, and he would carry it around to all the other plants. "Say goodbye to your friend," he'd say to them. "He just couldn't cut it. . . "
Then he would leave the flat with the offending plant, and return an hour or so later with a large, empty flower pot, which he would leave somewhere conspicuously around the flat.
The plants were the most luxurious, verdant, and beautiful in London. Also the most terrified.”
Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Neil Gaiman
“Potentially evil. Potentially good, too, I suppose. Just this huge powerful potentiality waiting to be shaped.”

July 25, 2014 – Shelved
July 25, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 18, 2014 – Started Reading
August 18, 2014 –
page 117
29.1% "Look at me, reading an adult book. I'm adulting here. \n Also: CROWLEY. Sassy Crowley."
August 19, 2014 –
page 245
60.95% "I'm actually a little disappointed because these last 100 pages have NOT been about Crowley and Aziraphale. They are who I like reading about. But still: it's pretty darn hilarious."
August 20, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
August 20, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
August 20, 2014 – Shelved as: adult
August 20, 2014 – Finished Reading
September 29, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

C.G. Drews This was so so awesome and now I'm going to the library today to dig out more Gaiman and Pratchett books. ;)

Martha Oh, Gaimain is amazing, isn't he? I don't think I've read anything by him that wasn't awesome. I have this sitting on my shelf but haven't gotten a chance to pick it up yet.

C.G. Drews @Martha: The only other Gaiman book I've read is Coraline BUT NOW I WANT TO DESPERATELY READ MORE. He's a genius. And this book is downright hilarious. I changed it from 4-stars to 5-stars because I just loved it so much. x)

Elizabeth Chesak Try The Graveyard Book next, Cait! :D

C.G. Drews I'm going to. I'm soooo going to. I also want Stardust, though.

C.G. Drews Basically: I NEED TO READ ALL THE GAIMAN BOOKS. ASAP. And I will, I promise!! x)

Jenn Ergott OKAY SO ONE OF MY FRIENDS HAS BEEN HYPING THIS BOOK UP FOR ME FOR MONTHS NOW AND THIS WAS AFTER I STARTED WATCHING SPN AND SHE'LL BE LIKE "Yeah and Crowley does X and loses Adam" and I'm sitting there with a dopey grin on my face imaginign SPN Crowley just *casually* misplacing Adam and Sam and Dean not even caring in the slightest and I think she mentioned something about Crowley having some sort of demon car, so I think Supernatural should make that a thing just to slide the reference in there.

C.G. Drews @J: Haha! It's very very different to SPN but I would die of happiness if they did this as a plot line at some point. It'd be so funny. 😂

message 10: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn Ergott Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@J: Haha! It's very very different to SPN but I would die of happiness if they did this as a plot line at some point. It'd be so funny. 😂"

Just, have the boys sitting at a stop light in the Impala and then Crowley just pulls up in a Bentley, grinning out the driver's side window.
"Hello boys!"
It's the one reference Dean doesn't get.

message 11: by val (new)

val omg you love SPN??????????????????????????? finally someone in the bookish community loves it like I do!!!!! I'm going to buy this now lol. oh, we should also totally rant about our faves on the tv show together bc who needs sleep when u obsess over your fave characters haha

message 12: by Sim (new) - added it

Sim If you're looking for more Pratchett books I'd recommend Nation. I had to read it for a class and it's pretty good

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @J: YES. That would be perfect. And I'm ready for Castiel and Crowley to sail.😂😂

@Valentina: I'm not caught up but like seasons 1 - 9 ARE MY FAVOURITES. And pfft, sleep is for the weak. We have fandoms to obsess over.

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Sim: I hopefully will get to some more of his books eventually!

message 15: by val (new)

val welp hopefully u don't know any spoilers about the upcomig seasons but u should try as much as possible to catch up with the show...if u love Crowley you're in for a surprise on s12 😳😳😳

message 16: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Langlinais My cat is named Crowley and lives up to it. You'd think I'd learn my lesson after naming my last cat Loki, but I'm a glutton for punishment it seems.

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Valentina: I've watched about half of S12...I just haven't had time haha.

@M: omg your cats have FANTASTIC names please never change. 😂

Jennifer Did you like the TV Adaptation?