Eugenia (Genie In A Book)'s Reviews > This is Falling

This is Falling by Ginger Scott

bookshelves: 2014-release, r2r

*This review also appears on the blog Chasm of Books*

I've read every one of Ginger Scott's books that she has written so far, and every single time she writes something deeply emotional, heartfelt and real. Once again, This is Falling follows the author's signature style, with a plot and romance that takes you on a journey with the characters, where you experience everything they do. It explores everything from the flirtatious stages of first love, to developing friendships, the importance of having siblings for support and finally overcoming the momentous challenges within a relationship in order to find peace and happiness with that person. Needless to say, I loved this one; and if it has once again cemented Scott's place as one of my all-time favourite contemporary authors, perhaps even surpassing the likes of greats such as Colleen Hoover.

I am willing to wait for whatever pieces she’s willing to give. And if I have to help her make each piece whole first, then so be it.

This book is set in college, where Rowe is starting after recovering from a tragedy which still haunts her. You'll have to read it to see what exactly this is, and the real details aren't revealed straight away. When you do find out what happened, you realise the emotional turmoil which she must have gone through. Moving into her room with Cassie and her seemingly vain sister Paige, Rowe is thrown into a situation where she needs to recover. There is some wonderful character development in the story, incited by time and the power of others around Rowe to heal wounds that she had been affected by for so long. I love how the friendship played a role in this book, and as always; although there is a romance it is so nice to see these other elements shine through as well. Nate's relationship with his brother Ty was so much fun to read about; from the serious moments to the witty banter that only siblings can truly understand.

Nate is the challenger I always wanted, and I like him more than I thought I did. I like him more than I should. And a little part of me is okay with that.

The parents don't play such a huge role in This is Falling, although they do pop up in the integral moments. The real focus is on Nate and Rowe. The dual alternating POV of the story throughout is something which I love in a novel like this, since you really get a holisitic view into exactly what the characters are thinking and feeling at particular times. As a baseball player, Nate is more than a sporting jock - he is a genuinely sincere guy who you just wish would jump out of the pages and exist in real life. Their developing relationship wasn't rushed or cheesy, but completely the opposite. It reflected the fact that perfection is impossible to attain in real life when we ourselves as people have our own flaws and challenges to work through. It does take some unexpected turns, leaving you wanting to see what will be happening next.

CONCLUSION

What can I say? Ginger Scott has produced a book that portrays the NA genre in a whole new light. Poignantly written, memorable in nature and with a beautifully realistic storyline, after reading this I can't wait to read the next installment to hear Ty's side of the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Falling.

July 24, 2014 – Shelved
July 24, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 24, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014-release
July 24, 2014 – Shelved as: r2r
August 30, 2014 – Started Reading
page 28
9.96% "I'm ready for all the feels with this one"
page 67
23.84% "That was actually funny! Loving the banter between Rowe and Nate"
August 31, 2014 – Finished Reading