Paul Bryant's Reviews > The Graphic Work Of M. C. Escher

The Graphic Work Of M. C. Escher by M.C. Escher

Dec 06, 2007

bookshelves: you-call-that-art

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graphic Work Of M. C. Escher.

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Jessica I do not understand who M. C. Escher is, aside from the guy who designed the trippy staircase t-shirt that weird kid in seventh grade wore every single day and never washed. Who was M. C. Escher? What was his cultural context? Where did he come from? When did he draw all those trippy staircases? And why did he draw all those trippy staircases, not to mention those spooky hands drawing each other? And how did these pictures get onto those t-shirts favored first by the strangest, most socially unrelated boys in middle school, and two years later onto the most stoned and least attractive boys in high school (yes, if you're wondering, a different set of boys: the younger cohort was problematically smart, and abandoned this t-shirt style around the time it was picked up by a new crowd of young men who didn't have the awkward problem of being too good at physics, and even if they did have such aptitude never would've found out anyway because they were smoking weed out of a Coke can in the park across the street during third period, having lengthy discussions attempting to connect the trippy staircases to their favorite Led Zeppelin song, instead of going to physics class)?

I know I could get quicker and more accurate answers by looking this up on Wikipedia, but I'd rather hear what you have to say.

message 2: by Paul (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Bryant I think we have here a muted version of what I refer to as the Nick Drake effect. Nick Drake was a fey limp wristed English folkie whose entire musical output of three albums is bathed in an autumnal dusk and a melancholic swoon. He makes Leonard Cohen look like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. After a half hearted attempt at a musical career he overdosed himself with antidepressants and became the poster boy for bedsit miserablists, but no one knew about him. So he wasn't on any posters. He lived and died in complete obscurity. Then in the year 2000, 35 years after his death, Volkswagen featured one of his sad tunes in a television advertisement, and within one month he sold more records than he had in the previous thirty years. And now he's regularly toasted as a brilliant singer songwriter and his records sell very well. Everyone loves Nick, his name is forever dropped. Well, the power of advertising is understood but that is not my point. Who was it, which bright spark in the advertising company, plucked Nick Drake out from all the other sad folkies or all the other nonsad musicians and thought putting Pink Moon on the soundtrack of the new sexy VW ad was just the thing? Whoever it was, their dad chose M C Escher for the t-shirts of that generation's mixed-up kids. Invisible hands, that's my point, invisible hands.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye I must dust off my albums and wash my shirt.