Ruth's Reviews > Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution

Queen of Fashion by Caroline Weber

Apr 28, 2010

liked it
Read from April 28 to June 05, 2010

I liked this book a lot. Marie A.has gotten a bad rap for being so extravagant, but there is way more to it than that. She did not have a lot of power in the French royal household--being 14 when she was married to the future king. So her being a controversal but copied fashion icon gave her some traction.

Her clothes are known for being over the top-- as seen w/ the crazy hair pouf style which were like diaramas with scenes of current events or historic achievements. But she also eschewed the structured garments and wore loose, breezy muslim dresses in her country villa. And everyone knows that comfortable clothes for women means wanton sexuality. So she was using the tools she had, but it would be held against her.

Like many of these Royal bios, things get very bad at the end and they family tries to escape, but it is too late. Some one has to pay the price for years of fat living while the rest of society suffered and struggled, but it is still sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of Fashion.

Tara I liked the story of the french revolution from this angle. I read this after I read the civilizing process and its analysis of absolute monarchy. This is the end of the monarchy's role as the balance between the old nobility and the newer ennobled bourgeois. Poor Marie comes to epitomize this dissolution. The elaborate rituals of Versailles kept the nobility in line, but they screw themselves when they mess with the monarchy and support the pre guillotine revolution. The cure for the national headache.

I also like how she cited the Wicked Queen a lot and the wild anti Marie propaganda that contributed to her demise.

Ruth It is pretty good so far, the angle is interesting (maybe something to do w/ all those "project runway" episodes I've watched.) I am a little sketchy on the whole French Revolution, so there is some mystery to it all.

Tara Ruth wrote: "It is pretty good so far, the angle is interesting (maybe something to do w/ all those "project runway" episodes I've watched.) I am a little sketchy on the whole French Revolution, so there is so..."

this cleared some of that french revolution stuff for me. MA is a good point of reference for the main events