Angie's Reviews > The Borrower

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

it was ok
bookshelves: audio

Synopsis: "Lucy Hull, a young children's librarian in Hannibal, Missouri, finds herself both a kidnapper and kidnapped when her favorite patron, ten- year-old Ian Drake, runs away from home. The precocious Ian is addicted to reading, but needs Lucy's help to smuggle books past his overbearing mother, who has enrolled Ian in weekly antigay classes with celebrity Pastor Bob. Lucy stumbles into a moral dilemma when she finds Ian camped out in the library after hours with a knapsack of provisions and an escape plan. Desperate to save him from Pastor Bob and the Drakes, Lucy allows herself to be hijacked by Ian. The odd pair embarks on a crazy road trip from Missouri to Vermont, with ferrets, an inconvenient boyfriend, and upsetting family history thrown in their path. But is it just Ian who is running away? Who is the man who seems to be on their tail? And should Lucy be trying to save a boy from his own parents?"

My Review: I started out expecting to really like this book, I listened to the audio version and I liked the little book references at each chapter. Then things just went down hill quickly. The MC Lucy was so completely delusional I couldn't stand it. She is supposed to be 26 and seems to live in a fantasy world. The story also gives the impression that readers in general live in a fictional world of their own creation. The basis of the entire story is one that I just could not stand and it really made it difficult to enjoy much of anything with the story. The only brief relief of this story was the Russians, both Lucy's parents, their friends and the other guy at the end. They were entertaining and if the story would have stuck with them I would have really enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Borrower.

July 23, 2014 – Shelved