Writerlibrarian's Reviews > The Cat Who Played Post Office

The Cat Who Played Post Office by Lilian Jackson Braun

it was ok
bookshelves: april-pile, mystery, re-read, readbefore2005, read2010

Nothing is like it seems and Pickax is not a quiet little town 400 miles north of everywhere. Qwill soon finds out that the town has dirty little secrets and some are quite dangerous to investigate.

The overall plot is interesting if somewhat thin but that's expected in this series but since it's early days in Moose County, the gallery of characters I came to love are just paper thin dolls in this instalment.

We meet or get to know more the infamous Amanda Goodwinter, shop owner and designer; her cousin Melinda Goodwinter, the young doctor Qwill is dating; Junior Goodwinter, the young journalist of the Pickax only newspaper; the Goodwinter lawyer siblings : Penelope and Alexander; Chef Brodie; his daughter Franceska; Mrs Cobbs is welcomed back into the fold and Arch Riker, Qwill ex-editor from Down Below also visits.

Lots of characters that only pass through the story not really feeding it, just mostly doing figuration. Which is not what I remember from later titles in the series but I might be mistaking. The late titles have a reverse problems: no plot and only quirky characters passing through. I'm hoping my memories of the middle books are not just embellished memories.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat Who Played Post Office.

April 28, 2010 – Started Reading