Verusex's Reviews > Massacre Pond

Massacre Pond by Paul Doiron

it was ok
bookshelves: dropped, dropping-for-a-while

I want to like Dorian's books. But I just can't handle the angst and sulking of the main character. He's not a person I want to know. Yes, I understand that he's a helpful young man with many noble thoughts and that some people perceive themselves that way. And that his belief that everyone else is stupid isn't that unusual. It's just not a stereotype I enjoy reading about. Also, Everyone is either a dear friend or a stupid enemy. There is always a main character acting stupidly. It was Boditch in the previous books, in this one it's a friend. Actually, thinking about it he always has a friend acting stupidly. Yes, people do act stupid and do evil things in the world. But they usually have reasons that they self justify. People are better and more complex than Dorian presents. At book 4, I have given up on Dorian for a while. The author's concept of the book and attempt at a sense of place is terrific. I do find the simple stereotypes he uses for the characters annoying. He will become a better writer, but he's not there yet. I am pleased that my opinion seems to be in the minority and that most readers enjoy the books. I am hoping that Dorian can become the writer he is working hard at becoming.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Massacre Pond.

July 22, 2014 – Shelved