Arec Rain's Reviews > The Castle of Llyr

The Castle of Llyr by Lloyd Alexander

3205188
Apr 28, 2010

bookshelves: classics, fantasy, young-adult, needs-review, favorites, series
Read from June 17 to 20, 2010

One of the more interesting novels of the series because it did not have to deal with Arawn directly yet still progressed the storyline in that sense. Despite Eilonway being my second to last favorite character due to her annoying chatter, I still loved reading about her story and history. Alexander actually made me feel pity for both Eilonway and Archen while wanting for Taran to desperately come to terms with his feelings.

Rhun was a light-hearted addition to the cast. he was a temporary character that made me feel constantly frustrated and yet, sympathetic. The only true nuisance to the story was Glew, who must be excused by mean of insanity. I am disappointed, however, that we never find out what happens to the self-centered, simple-minded creature. I also believe that Llyan was a great addiction to the party. I love animal characters and she is just to adorable to resist. A harp loving cat? Yes, adorable.

All in all, it tends to be my favorite novel of the series because, while it still progress the plotline dealing with Arawn (even if indirectly), it gives you much greater insight to the world, Taran's growing maturity and feelings for his female companion, and Eilonway's history, even if it is destroyed. It's a nice refresher with the dramatic and action filled first two novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Castle of Llyr.

06/17/2010 page 0
0.0% "Just finished The Black Cauldron again and now it's on to what I believe to have been my favorite. Let's see if it still holds true."
06/18/2010 page 101
59.0% "I do so love Llyan. :3 Who wouldn't love a cat the size of a horse?"
06/19/2010 page 157
92.0% "Such a frustratingly lovable book!"