AH's Reviews > Fool Moon

Apr 27, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: demons, zzread-oct-2010, urban-fantasy, were, wizards
Read from October 11 to 13, 2010

Harry’s back. This time he has some furry friends to deal with.

The second installment of the Dresden Files, Fool Moon was exciting, action-packed, and blood-drenched. This book is full of werewolves – and all kinds of them. I loved how Jim Butcher took the werewolf lore and used many different kinds of werewolves to add layers of interest to this book.

Fool Moon is a darker story. Harry struggles with his inner wizard throughout this book. He is tempted by the black magic, but makes an effort not to use it. Harry is able to enter the minds of his rivals through a soulgaze. I love this concept. Through the soulgaze, Harry is able to sense his rivals’ emotions and intentions. It was especially awesome when he entered the mind of a predator. The lure of the hunt, the scents, and the bloodlust were experienced.

I enjoyed the secondary characters in this book. Tera, the mostly naked shapeshifter, created some interesting diversions for our hero. I was surprised that I liked Susan a lot more in this book, especially after she took care of Harry’s injuries. Karrin Murphy frustrated me a little. I felt that she was always trying to arrest Harry, instead of using his wizard skills. I loved Johnny Marcone the mob boss’ character. I saw him as a kind of character that tried to tempt Harry to the dark side. And how can I forget Mister, the Coke-drinking cat? Love him!

I did not like this book as much as Storm Front. Bob the Skull did not get enough exposure in this book and Toot the fairy was missed.

All in all, a fun but blood drenched, gore filled read. Looking forward to reading Grave Peril soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool Moon.

10/11/2010 page 33
10.0% "Harry, Harry....still broke, still in the doghouse with Murphy..." 3 comments
10/12/2010 page 57
17.0% "Mister the cat drinks Coke!" 4 comments
10/12/2010 page 86
25.0% ""Fury overwhelmed me, naked lust for meat, for the hunt. I needed to run, to kill. I was invincible, unstoppable. I could feel the power in my arms and hands, feel the raw energy of the wild coursing through me, sharpening my senses to animal keenness." A furry moment experienced by Harry." 16 comments
10/12/2010 page 90
26.0% ""There was power to be had in hatred, too, in anger and in lust, in selfishness and in pride. And I knew that there was some dark corner of me that would enjoy using magic for killing - and then long for more. That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Like Legos." Harry really does have a dark side to him." 9 comments
10/12/2010 page 151
44.0% "Quite the exciting chase scene." 6 comments
10/12/2010 page 160
47.0% ""Men are foolish. They will stare at anything female and naked." --Tera" 3 comments
10/13/2010 page 218
64.0% "Loup-garou massacre...Beat up Harry...Parker and his thugs...the action never seems to stop in this book." 6 comments

Greta is Erikasbuddy Guess what I just got from the library?!! Can't wait till Monday!! I'm going to totally need something fun to read because the Shining is starting to totally scare me ;)

message 2: by AH (last edited Oct 07, 2010 04:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH So, we're starting Monday? Awesome! I think LL may join us, not sure. I just noticed you changed your avatar. Happy Halloween.

Desperado :( Unfortunately, I won't be able to start with you both on the monday. I forgot to pack the damn book-along with a few others-in my suitcases. But I'll start as soon as I get back on the 13th.

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH OK ! When you get your ereader, you won't have to worry about packing books any more!

Desperado LOL! You know, that's exactly what I was thinking when I got off of the train. Oh, the possibilities of having 3,500 books at my fingertips & new ones only a click away. *Lethal salivates*

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I did that! I loaded like 30 books on my reader before my trip last summer. I read 2 books! We were so busy, there wasn't any time to read. And we flew the redeye home so I was too tired to read. ARGH.

Desperado LOL! Poor AH! Did you at least get to read the 28 left over when you got back home?

I keep telling myself I won't turn into a impulse buyer but I'm in denial. I've spent so long with a limited book budget & I just know I'm gonna go buck wild to make up for lost time.

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH A lot of the books were freebies. Kobo had 20 free books 2 weeks ago and not bad titles. I think Amazon does the same, you need to check their website regularly.

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Here's Amazon's list of freebies: http://www.amazon.com/only-FREE-kindl...

Outlander was on the list this week at Amazon and Sony.

Greta is Erikasbuddy WOW!! THe possibilities with an e-reader. Awesome!!

YUP YUP! I'll be ready on Monday :)

Desperado Thank you so much for the links, AH! =) I'd heard about Amazon's free ebooks. I know B&N does freebie fridays. I'm excited because one of Maya Banks-who is one my absolute favorite ER authors-has a freebie on Amazon. Can't wait until Xmas!

message 12: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I think you can load their software on your computer and download now.

Desperado I'm sure you can...but I won't. A little anticipation never hurt anyone & it's not like I have anything else to look forward to.

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH So you're a delayed gratification kind of gal? Good for you.

Greta is Erikasbuddy YUPPERS!! Still broke and in the doghouse ;) But it works for this one ;) Needs more BOb lolz

Greta is Erikasbuddy I adored too how SUsan took care of Harry... that part describing what they did AFTER she tended to his wounds was sooo beautiful. I was like "DANG! Rob Zombie dude can do swoon!! Excellent!"

And yes yes yes!! It so needs more Mister!!! I adore that cat!! And poor BOB only got one chappy!! That's uncool!! Maybe next book Harry will load Bob up in his totebag and take him with him

message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH When do you want to read the next book? Shall we do a buddy read again?

Greta is Erikasbuddy Of course we should buddy up again ;) THat's probably the only way I'll read it lolz.

Let's see... November - How about November 15th?

Do you guys have Black Friday? (just curious.... I'm trying to learn the ways of Canada lolz)

message 20: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH No black Friday, but since a lot of the stores here are from the US, they do the Black Friday sales. But store hours are set by the government, so stores are not allowed to open at 4AM or stay open til midnight. And I haven't heard of anyone getting killed. Now, Boxing Day sales, that's another thing. (Day after Christmas sales).

Greta is Erikasbuddy Boxing DAy, huh? You guys shop the day after Xmas? We return stuff and buy clearance xmas candy lolz

OH snap!! LAst year I stood in line at Wal-mart from 11pm till 5am to get a laptop lolz!! But it was sooo organized (last year!). THey had stuff roped off and they said if you pushed ANYONE they'd escort you out. Now, prior to that... because of my shortness.... I'd be the one wiggling into the crowd grabbing dvd players lolz!! THey won't (well Wal-mart) let you do that anymore because of all the tramplings. Even our mall got the bright idea last year to let people come in an hour early so they wouldn't explode through a little door at once. We're finally realizing that there are a lot of crazy shoppers out there ;)

Desperado :( Only 3 stars? I gave SF 3 stars, hoping FM would be better & now you give it 3 stars? Oh dear.

message 23: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH It would have been 3.5 stars if I could. It was just darker than the first, and gory, and bloody. Lots of carnage. Otherwise, it would have been a 4 star. I really do like the series and we're going to read the next one in November.

Desperado Hmmm. The darker, gory bloodiness might actually work for me. I do love a gory novel. Nice.

While I'm going to try to get to FM by the end of October, I know I'm not gonna be able to read Grave Peril in November. I'm already on the hold list at the library & I'm #12-with only two copies in the system. Which sucks, because I was really looking forward to a buddy read. Katyana & Catherine buddy read alot & it makes me green with envy. :(

message 25: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I know the feeling. I read vicariously through them.
We'll have to set up a buddy read of something with Katyana and Catherine too.

Desperado Definitely. I want in on the book action!