Maxine (Booklover Catlady)'s Reviews > Doll Bones

Doll Bones by Holly Black

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, my thanks for the opportunity.

China dolls, creepy looking china dolls. Oh yes, I know what they are like. This book made me remember being a young child and being afraid of a porcelain doll that sounded similar to the doll in the book. This doll sat in a cupboard at my Nana's house and everytime I got sent to the cupboard to get something one eye open would watch me. I remember my heart hammering in my chest.

Doll Bones is about many things, an adventure, friendship, maturing and a ghost. Three children Zach, Poppy and Alice have been friends for a long time, they play many imaginary games together and all have a spirit of adventure in them. One night, Zach is woken from his sleep by the girls, Poppy is convinced the doll came to her in a dream and is now haunting them. They must do what the doll asks or bad things will happen.

In the middle of the night they start their adventure to give the doll the peace she is asking for, creepy things happen to them on the way, shivers and feelings that can't be explained, dreams of the ghost of the little girl, apparently her bones were ground up to make the porcelain of the doll (this is why it's called bone china). They must set all of this right.

It's a middle grade coming of age story as well as an adventure, it was a lot less creepy than I expected, I think I had higher hopes for some good old spooky stuff. The illustrations in the book are really well done and add a touch of atmosphere. I think a bit more creepiness would have sat really well with me as a reader, but I also have to think would I have enjoyed this book as a middle grade reader and yes I would have.

As they go on their journey with THE QUEEN (the china doll) they discover new things about themselves, their friendship, their feelings, their courage and their fears. All of this is intertwined with some strange goings-on around the doll, she is with them all the way.

It's a ghost story for sure, not sure if it would scare the middle grade reader much or not, but it's a lot of fun. 3.5 stars from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doll Bones.

July 21, 2014 – Started Reading
July 21, 2014 – Shelved
July 22, 2014 – Shelved as: net-galley-reviewed
July 22, 2014 – Finished Reading
July 28, 2014 – Shelved as: middle-grade-childrens
September 7, 2014 – Shelved as: creepy-books

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Sounds thrilling! And again another of your eloquent review.