Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > Angelology

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

I am so glad I found this on audiobook at the library. It turned out to be a very good medium for this story. I have to say that for a slow starter, I really got drawn into this book, and when it ended, I had separation anxiety!

Two things kept me from giving this a five star rating:

1. The slow, meandering start. I was initially thinking, uh-oh, this might turn out to be a real snoozer. Boy was I wrong!
2. The ending was a cliffie that really got my blood pressure up! I didn't like the way this novel concluded at all. I hate feeling like I'm being manipulated to read the next book in a series, and it felt that way. I'd rather read a book series that has books that begin and conclude in a natural way. Some resolution, but threads that encourage me to pick up the next book. That was so not the case here. I would have kept reading anyway, but now I feel like my arm is being twisted to read the next book.

Things I loved about this book:

1. The scholarly tone wouldn't work for everyone, but since I am a bookworm nerd who likes to research topics that are of interest, I could really get into the angelologists and their penchant for delving deeply into subjects in their field. And their subject knowledge.. .Wow! Most of the main characters were in one way or another scholars or people who really knew their stuff. They spent their lives reading and immersing themselves in the past. That spoke to me.
2. I loved the epistolary format, a significant portion of the book written as parts of journal entries and book excerpts. It was executed very well. One would think that this would make the book dry, but it didn’t.
3. The narrator was fantastic. She did a gorgeous French accent (and believe me, most of the book is in various French viewpoints), and she made each of the characters sound very different. With the male viewpoints, her voice was lower and conveyed a male speaking. She really brought them to life, and brought a vivid image of the story to life, and I could get an idea of what each character was like based on the way she spoke their parts.
4. Ms. Trussoni gets the duality of angels. They are so beautiful they are irresistible, but there are so powerful and dangerous that one never truly forgets (or shouldn’t to their regret) their celestial nature, so far above humans. And then, there are the nephilim. Oh my goodness. They were so evil! I had hopes that creatures of a once divine origin, so beautiful to look at, would have some goodness inside. Not at all! I was continually surprised at how sinister and even corrupt they were. They thought absolutely nothing about humans, or God, or their celestial origins. They were all about obtaining and keeping power on earth.
5. Angelology itself as the focus of this book. Who knew? Wow! It’s more than just being an angel scholar. It’s your life, and there is no sacrifice too great, as I learned as I read. It’s all for a purpose, to prepare for the battle against very powerful foes, the nephilim. The people in this avocation that we become acquaintances with in this book suffer so greatly, and as I listened, it was clear why. Their foes were such that it took all their energies to fight them, and losing one’s life could be a given at any time.
6. Ms. Trussoni did such a good job of tying all the various narrators together. The story spans over a thousand years (well actually goes back to biblical times), but it all plays a part, and each narrator took my attention and held it hostage as I listened.
7. Percival Grigori was a fascinating villain. There were times I felt really sorry for him, and other times I hated him. His highly complicated relationship with Gabriella Levy-French Valco made for some good reading! The societies that the nephilim had built and how they became the ones controlling all the power and money in the modern world felt so plausible, part of me wonders if this is truly possible. It kind of makes sense!
Final Thoughts:
Although the ending was a buzz kill, I was very impressed overall with this book. The angel parts were surreally intoxicating. I found I cared about the characters, and I was so engaged with their struggles. This book found my angel love and pulled me tight to the narrative. The unreal beauty of the angels, the black hearts of the nephilim, the intense struggle of the frail humans against unimaginably strong (but strangely frail in some ways) celestial creatures. But then, those angelologists have some serious tricks up their sleeve. If you are a reader who loves angels, you should add this to the reading list.

Overall rating: 4.5 celestial stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelology.

April 27, 2010 – Shelved
June 30, 2010 – Shelved as: angels
June 24, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 24, 2011 – Shelved as: audiobook
June 24, 2011 – Shelved as: library-checkout
July 5, 2011 – Started Reading
July 5, 2011 –
0.0% "Started listening to audiobook."
July 13, 2011 –
July 14, 2011 – Shelved as: french-heroine
July 14, 2011 – Shelved as: set-in-france
July 14, 2011 – Shelved as: set-in-new-york-city
July 19, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011-reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ how far have you gotten in this book? And what do think about it if you've gotten far? It looks pretty interesting.. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I'm on disc two. It's a bit on the dry side, but it's getting more interesting now that we meet the angels.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ awe man the reviews don't look too good but I need your opinion..lol

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ Ok well I will wait for your lovely review when your done. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Meme, it's a fairly dry story, but I'm staying just interested enough to keep listening. If it was a book, I think it would probably take me a year to get through it.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ LOL! keep trudging along...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) It's slowly but surely. A very interesting idea. I just wish it wasn't so slow-moving.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ I think sometimes thats how it is in series books.. I've come to notice by the time I get to book 3 or book 4 are they are best ones i just hate the wait cause then I get distracted and take along time to get back to the darn series I started. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I think this story has a lot of potential. The idea is very intriguing, and I can tell the author put a lot of thought into plotting this story. The narrator is one of the best I've encountered in my short audiobook career.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ Well thats good to know. I like to listen to good narrators that keep you listening and interested. I dont know it I told you before or if it was someone else I listen to City of Fallen Angels by Cassandre Clare on audio that two narrators and honestly the guy narrator sounded so sexy I couldn't wait for his part to come up his voice was like butter.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Oh I bet that is awesome on audiobook. I might have to see if my library has it. The narrator on the Christine Feehan book I finished on Monday was so unsexy! It made me want to read the book again to get his voice out of my head.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ LOL! I tried Dark Possession by her on audio and that guy was just awful gave me the creeps. And that was the first book I tried to read from her series... only because it was said to be an I/R book..

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I wonder if it's the same guy. :(

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ Could be his name is Phil Gigante...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I heard he was good. That wasn't the guy who did Predatory Game. I'm making a note to avoid Dark Possession on audiobook though.

message 16: by Tarra (new) - added it

Tarra Great review! I've had this on my to read list since it came out. There always seems to be plenty of other books that come first, but I've grazed the kindle sample, and it does start out slow. Good to know that it is worth it to keep going. And I like what you said about series / sequels. Are there any more stand alone books out there? Does everything have to be a saga?!

message 17: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Danielle! I love reading about angels, and while knowing the ending is a buzz kill (AWWWWW!) I'm adding this to my wishlist!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Tarra and Rane. Yeah, I do wish there were more standalones, although the other part of me likes knowing there will be more books coming in a good series.

I think you should check it out if you love angels, Rane.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I've seen this one mentioned before, Danielle. Wow... it sure sounds good!

message 20: by valee (new)

valee As I know we share this crazy fix about Angels I'll add this book. If you say it's good girl, then IT IS goooood.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) It is very good, but I will warn you it's very scholarly in some parts.

Mike (the Paladin) I can't decide on this one Lady D. As you probably already know I'm a Christian, that in itself isn't a problem, I'm familiar with the passages this is obviously based on and have (run down and) read the Book of Enoch. It's just that the reviews are so all over the place.

Yous is probably the most helpful...and hopeful, but others find the book slow and stilted. If I can find it in audio I might put it on my TBR list. I'm not sure about it though.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Mike, I would recommend this as an audiobook for sure.
As a Christian, I didn't find anything personally offensive about it.

Mike (the Paladin) Another point has come up...is the second out yet? I can't find it anywhere as released, but there are reviews on it. Amazon doesn't even have the title listed?????

With your comment on the cliffhanger ending, I'd rather wait till the next is available.LOL

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) That I know of, I don't think the next book is out.

Mike (the Paladin) Thanks...I'll put this on a word document I keep for books I "want" to get back to and wait till the second hits. There must have been some prerelease books or something as I've seen a couple of reviews. Oh well.

Thanks again.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) You're welcome. I'll let you know if I hear that the second book is out.

Kuuipo I agree with your analysis of the book. I only wish I would've had it on audio as well.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I definitely think it is more readable as an audio experience!

Hannah Audio is definitely the way to experience this book. I don't think I would have made it through if I had to actually read it.

Mike (the Paladin) Just got this out of the library on audio.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Hannah, I totally agree. Mike, let us know what you think.

Mike (the Paladin) Just barely started, mildly interested but have to go out this evening. Probably won't get back to it till tomorrow.

Danielle Trussoni Thank you so much for reading and reviewing! I hope that you will give my upcoming book (The Ancestor) a try!