Cindy's Reviews > Beggars Ride

Beggars Ride by Nancy Kress

Apr 26, 2010

bookshelves: female-authors, social-sf, sci-fi, dystopic-or-apocalyptic, biopunk, robots-n-androids
Read from July 13 to 17, 2010

Third in the Beggars series: Beggars in Spain, Beggars And Choosers and Beggars Ride.

What a series! Social SF at its best!

Kress starts off with a simple premise: what if we could genetically modify our children so that they didn't need sleep? She follows all the complicated, society-changing implications from there. (Hint: there's way more than you'd think!) Honestly, after reading the Hugo-award winning novella, I didn't see how it could continue; I thought she had explored all the moral and societal issues with the Sleepless. How wrong I was! Each book has a new simple premise (or two or three) and explores the outcomes and knock-on effects from various individuals' points of view and the wider-reaching societal complications. The brilliance lies in each book presenting a different commentary on society - following a slightly different cast of characters, through new political, economical and emotional terrain.

Specifically about Beggars Ride: It was a good, satisfying conclusion to the series. Sadly, this is the weakest of the three books, but still holds up. For a book that has a couple of huge events, not much action happens. There is too much thinking and talking about stuff, and not enough doing. In most chapters we're inside a character's head, alone with their thoughts. That's just not very compelling. On the other hand, Kress explores new society-changing questions only touched on in the previous books. In addition, this book was grittier, dirtier with depressing elements and reluctant heroes. Yay for grit and dirt!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beggars Ride.

07/15/2010 page 156
38.0% "Somehow vol. 3 is feeling more scattered?"
07/16/2010 page 215
71.0% "Lots of solo characters thinking & planning. I want action!"