Cindy's Reviews > Beggars and Choosers

Beggars and Choosers by Nancy Kress

Apr 26, 2010

bookshelves: female-authors, sci-fi, social-sf, biopunk, dystopic-or-apocalyptic, near-future, own, robots-n-androids
Recommended for: Social SF lovers who've read Beggars in Spain
Read from July 05 to 11, 2010 — I own a copy

Part of my "Finish the series already!" month.
_______________________

I really, really loved this book! I don't use love very often with books - partly because I can't choose a select few to elevate above the others. Mostly I don't say I love a book in a review because who am I to say that you will love it too? But this book? Loved it.

Like Beggars in Spain, Nancy Kress focuses on societal development as seen through the eyes of different caste individuals in the United States. I don't want to give away any more details than that, except to say that the time period, time span, and layout of the story are quite different than Beggars in Spain. I half expected something quite different, mostly because Beggars in Spain started as a novella (first third of the book), then expanded to a novel, then expanded to a trilogy. What I didn't expect here is a totally different social commentary, and done so damn well. Right now in the hours after finishing it, I think I enjoyed this more than Beggars in Spain.

This is always the tricky thing with second-in-a-series: when the author chooses to do something so different than the beloved first book, she risks alienating folks that wanted more of the same. Despite the differences in Beggars and Choosers, the reader does get more Sleepless, more social commentary, more mind-blowing ideas of how small changes can effect the core structure and belief system of the country.

At any rate, if you've read and enjoyed Beggars in Spain, make the effort to find a copy of Beggars and Choosers. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beggars and Choosers.

07/07/2010 page 170
53.0% "This story is awesome. Kress really knows how to write."
show 1 hidden update…