Ashley's Reviews > Summer Knight

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Apr 26, 2010

bookshelves: audiobooks, fantasy, mysteries, urban-fantasy, ridiculously-prolific-authors, i-vant-to-drink-your-blood, murder-most-foul, paranormal, i-do-believe-in-fairies-i-do-i-do
Read 2 times. Last read October 6, 2016.

This re-read has been a success so far. Weird, but good weird. It was weird revisiting the first three books, which I originally didn't like enough to continue the series, on audio for the first time. I knew that James Marsters was a huge part of the reason I ended up liking this series so much, but I don't think I realized just how much until starting this re-read. I liked the first three books more on re-read in large part because I'm invested in this world and these characters now, but it's also just super fun to listen to James Marsters read me stories. He brings Harry to life.

Which is all just a lead up to me explaining that I'm reading the rest of this series on this re-read in hard copy, because I have OCD and each book has to be read each way at least one time. I did 1-3, 13, and 15 in hard copy the first time around, so they get the audio treatment this time, and vice versa. And I missed the audio SO BAD. I still liked this though, to be clear. In fact, I liked it about the same amount I did as when I read it in 2010.

I still loved the introduction of the Faerie courts, and Harry's relationship with Toot-toot the fairy. I still liked the way this book inched closer towards expanding Harry's circle of people he trusts instead of making him continual loner man. I think I actually liked the stuff with the White Council better this time, now that I have a firmer grasp on what their whole deal is. I can't frickin' wait for Harry to calm the hell down about women, though. When does that happen again? I feel like it's not until halfway through the series, at least.

Anyway, it's been two months since I read this, so more detailed thoughts have escaped me. Maybe I'll make up for it in the next one, since I didn't actually write a review for that one the first time through.

Original Review, 11/1/2010: Never thought this would actually happen, but I'm giving more than three stars to a Dresden File book. I'm still not entirely sure if that extra enjoyment was garnered by the writing (which I still think is pretty awkward in places . . . Jim Butcher and I are obviously not in agreement about what constitutes "cool"), or the fabulously sexy narration of James Marsters. His voice really brought out the color and personality that I felt was missing from the first three books. It also helps that I find fairies infinitely more interesting than ghosts, werewolves, and over the top wizards involved with the Mafia. While still being overwhelming pathetic, Harry also managed not to annoy me at all this book, a lot of which has to do with Marsters, but also to the fact that he's actually letting people help him now and not being so much a stupid martyr anymore. I'm also not going conceal the fact that I very much appreciated the absence of Susan, the vampires, and aforementioned stupid Mafia.

Anyway, I enjoyed this book enough that I'm in for the rest of the series, but it's gonna be audiobooks all the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Knight.

April 26, 2010 – Shelved
November 26, 2012 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
May 1, 2015 – Shelved as: ridiculously-prolific-authors
September 2, 2015 – Shelved as: i-vant-to-drink-your-blood
October 5, 2016 –
1.0% "re-read time WOOOOOO"
October 5, 2016 –
9.0% "Harry. Quit objectifying the Queen of Air and Darkness. She will END YOU."
October 5, 2016 –
22.0% "Yeah, this book is definitely where the awesome worldbuilding starts, what with fleshing out the White Council and introducing the Faerie Courts. It was too general before. Now it's getting nice and detailed."
Started Reading
October 6, 2016 –
42.0% "Toot-toot is the pizza king of my heart."
October 6, 2016 – Finished Reading
October 7, 2016 –
55.0% "I know who dunnit since this is a re-read. Interesting to see Harry interact with them before he figures it out. I can't remember why they did it, though . . ."
October 7, 2016 –
67.0% "Am I the only who gets bored during extended action sequences?"
October 8, 2016 – Shelved as: murder-most-foul
October 8, 2016 – Shelved as: paranormal
October 8, 2016 – Shelved as: i-do-believe-in-fairies-i-do-i-do

message 1: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic Interesting. I'm still stuck with book one, and it's not looking optimistic. But then I don't do audio, either. So maybe it will end up as DNF.
Igor

Ashley Yeah, you can't stop after book one. You have to at least make it to this one. It's unfortunately one of those series you have to give time to get going, but when it does, it's really great. If you stop after book one, you're missing everything!

Andy This book was the real game changer for me as the whole world & genre opened up

C. Scott Kippen I was going to give up on the series until I read this one. He finally grew enough as a writer, and this one shows it. He still has his moments where he regresses, but Summer Knight is still one of my favorites--and saved the series for me.

Ashley Andy wrote: "This book was the real game changer for me as the whole world & genre opened up"

Yeah, the worldbuilding really grabbed me in this one, with the White Council and the Faerie Courts, and the war. Before it was just Harry being a lone wolf PI and it wasn't super interesting to me. Not enough depth on anything, really.

Ashley C. Scott wrote: "I was going to give up on the series until I read this one. He finally grew enough as a writer, and this one shows it. He still has his moments where he regresses, but Summer Knight is still one of..."

This is definitely the book that saved it for me as well, but looking back it wasn't until Dead Beat that I really began to love it. I can definitely see why having to invest so much time and energy in a series before the payoff really starts would be frustrating for a lot of people.

C. Scott Kippen Ashley wrote: "C. Scott wrote: "I was going to give up on the series until I read this one. He finally grew enough as a writer, and this one shows it. He still has his moments where he regresses, but Summer Knigh..."

I have no idea why I gave him 3 books to grab me. He did in this one. I have friends who won't, and I don't disagree with them. Storm Knight was pretty terrible.